The K121Q polymorphism of ENPP1 and peripheral arterial disease
- 115 Downloads
The K121Q variant of the ectonucleotide pyrophosphatase/ phosphodiesterase 1 (ENPP1) gene is associated with obesity, insulin resistance, and early myocardial infarction. Therefore, we hypothesized that the K121Q polymorphism might also be associated with an increased risk for peripheral arterial disease. Four hundred patients with peripheral arterial disease and 400 controls matched for sex and age (± 2 years) were genotyped cross-sectionally for the K121Q single nucleotide polymorphism of the ENPP1 gene. The frequency for the 121Q allele was 0.25 both in patients with peripheral arterial disease and in controls (P = 0.75). Subgroup analysis revealed association of the ENPP1 121QQ genotype with higher glycohemoglobin A1C levels (P = 0.001) and earlier onset of peripheral arterial disease (P = 0.003) in the cohort of nonsmokers. Whereas the K121Q genotype of the ENPP1 gene is not associated with presence of peripheral arterial disease in the whole Linz Peripheral Arterial Disease population, it is associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus and earlier onset of peripheral arterial disease in the subgroup of nonsmoking patients.
Key wordsENPP1 Peripheral arterial disease K121Q polymorphism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Bacci S, Ludovico O, Prudente S, Zhang YY, Di Paola R, Mangiacotti D, Rauseo A, Nolan D, Duffy J, Fini G, Salvemini L, Amico C, Vigna C, Pellegrini F, Menzaghi C, Doria A, Trischitta V (2005) The K121Q polymorphism of the ENPP1/PC-1 gene is associated with insulin resistance/atherogenic phenotypes, including earlier onset of type 2 diabetes and myocardial infarction. Diabetes 54:3021–3025PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Meyre D, Bouatia-Naji N, Tounian A, Samson C, Lecoeur C, Vatin V, Ghoussaini M, Wachter C, Hercberg S, Charpentier G, Patsch W, Pattou F, Charles MA, Tounian P, Clement K, Jouret B, Weill J, Maddux BA, Goldfine ID, Walley A, Boutin P, Dina C, Froguel P (2005) Variants of ENPP1 are associated with childhood and adult obesity and increase the risk of glucose intolerance and type 2 diabetes. Nat Genet 37:863–867PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Costanzo BV, Trischitta V, Di Paola R, Spampinato D, Pizzuti A, Vigneri R, Frittitta L (2001) The Q allele variant (GLN121) of membrane glycoprotein PC-1 interacts with the insulin receptor and inhibits insulin signaling more effectively than the common K allele variant (LYS121). Diabetes 50:831–836PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Endler G, Mannhalter C, Sunder-Plassmann H, Schillinger M, Klimesch A, Exner M, Kapiotis S, Meier S, Kunz F, Raiger E, Huber K, Wagner O, Sunder-Plassmann R (2002) The K121Q polymorphism in the plasma cell membrane glycoprotein 1 gene predisposes to early myocardial infarction. J Mol Med 80:791–795PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Mueller T, Marschon R, Dieplinger B, Haidinger D, Gegenhuber A, Poelz W, Webersinke G, Haltmayer M (2005) Factor V Leiden, prothrombin G20210A, and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T mutations are not associated with chronic limb ischemia: the Linz Peripheral Arterial Disease (LIPAD) study. J Vasc Surg 41:808–815PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lin J, Chen B, Wang JH, Zeng MS, Wang YX (2006) Whole-body three-dimensional contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance (MR) angiography with parallel imaging techniques on a multichannel MR system for the detection of various systemic arterial diseases. Heart Vessels 21:395–398PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Laukkanen O, Pihlajamaki J, Lindstrom J, Eriksson J, Valle TT, Hamalainen H, Ilanne-Parikka P, Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi S, Tuomilehto J, Uusitupa M, Laakso M (2004) Common polymorphisms in the genes regulating the early insulin signalling pathway: effects on weight change and the conversion from impaired glucose tolerance to Type 2 diabetes. The Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study. Diabetologia 47:871–877PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar