Roles of Synoptic to Quasi-Monthly Disturbances in Generating Two Pre-Summer Heavy Rainfall Episodes over South China
In this study, power spectral analysis and bandpass filtering of daily meteorological fields are performed to explore the roles of synoptic to quasi-monthly disturbances in influencing the generation of pre-summer heavy rainfall over South China. Two heavy rainfall episodes are selected during the months of April–June 2008–15, which represent the collaboration between the synoptic and quasi-biweekly disturbances and the synoptic and quasi-monthly disturbances, respectively. Results show that the first heavy rainfall episode takes place in a southwesterly anomalous flow associated with an anticyclonic anomaly over the South China Sea (SCS) at the quasi-biweekly scale with 15.1% variance contributions, and at the synoptic scale in a convergence zone between southwesterly and northeasterly anomalous flows associated with a southeastward-moving anticyclonic anomaly on the leeside of the Yungui Plateau and an eastward-propagating anticyclonic anomaly from higher latitudes with 35.2% variance contribution. In contrast, the second heavy rainfall episode takes place in southwest-to-westerly anomalies converging with northwest-to-westerly anomalies at the quasi-monthly scale with 23.2% variance contributions to the total rainfall variance, which are associated with an anticyclonic anomaly over the SCS and an eastward-propagating cyclonic anomaly over North China, respectively. At the synoptic scale, it occurs in south-to-southwesterly anomalies converging with a cyclonic anomaly on the downstream of the Yungui Plateau with 49.3% variance contributions. In both cases, the lower-tropospheric mean south-to-southwesterly flows provide ample moisture supply and potentially unstable conditions; it is the above synoptic, quasi-biweekly or quasi-monthly disturbances that determine the general period and distribution of persistent heavy rainfall over South China.
Key wordssynoptic scale pre-summer rainfall quasi-biweekly scale quasi-monthly disturbances
本研究基于对 2008–15 年 4–6 月逐日气象要素场的能量谱分析以及带通滤波, 探讨了天气尺度至准月尺度扰动在华南前汛期强降水产生过程中的作用, 进而具体分析了天气尺度和准两周尺度扰动, 天气尺度和准月尺度扰动在两次强降水过程中的作用. 研究结果表明, 对第一次强降水过程而言, 准两周尺度扰动的贡献率为 15.1%, 降水主要发生在与南海反气旋异常相关的异常西南风中. 天气尺度扰动的贡献率为 35.2%, 降水主要处于异常西南风和东北风的辐合区, 其分别与位于云贵高原下风坡的异常反气旋向东南移动以及来自更高纬的异常反气旋东移有关. 与之不同的是, 对第二次强降水过程而言, 准月尺度扰动的贡献率为 23.2%, 降水主要发生在西西南异常与西西北异常的辐合区, 该异常分别与南海反气旋以及华北气旋东移有关. 在天气尺度上, 降水发生在西南偏南风异常与云贵高原下游的气旋性异常辐合区, 贡献率为 49.3%. 对两个个例而言, 对流层下层平均西南偏南气流提供了充足的水汽和潜在的不稳定条件; 但天气尺度、 准两周尺度以及准月尺度扰动综合决定了华南持续性强降水的大概持续时间和空间分布.
关键词天气尺度 前汛期降水 准两周尺度 准月尺度扰动
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We are grateful to the two anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments that have helped improve the quality of this work. This work was jointly supported by Special project for Key Technology Development of Meteorological Forecast Operation [Grant No. YBGJXM (2019) 04-03], the National Key R&D Program of China (Grant No. 2018YFC1507403), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 41475043), and the National Basic Research (973) Program of China (Grant Nos. 2014CB441402 and 2015CB954102).
- Cao, X., X. J. Ren, X. Q. Yang, and J. B. Fang, 2012: The quasibiweekly oscillation characteristics of persistent severe rain and its general circulation anomaly over southeast China from May to August. Acta Meteorologica Sinica, 70, 766–778, https://doi.org/10.11676/qxxb2012.062. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Chen, S., and M. Q. Jian, 2015: Propagation of the quasi-biweekly oscillations related to rainfall abnormity in the first rainy season over Southern China. Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Sunyatseni, 54, 130–137, https://doi.org/10.13471/j.cnki.acta.snus.2015.03.023. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Duchon, C. E., 1979: Lanczos filtering in one and two dimensions. J. Appl. Meteorol., 18, 1016–1022, https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0450(1979)018<1016:LFIOAT>2.0.CO;2.Google Scholar
- Gilman, D. L., F. J. Fuglister, and J. M. Mitchell Jr., 1963: On the power spectrum of “red noise”. J. Atmos. Sci., 20, 182–184, https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(1963)020<0182:OTPSON>2.0.CO;2.Google Scholar
- Gu, D. J., Z. P. Ji, X. R. Gao, G. F. Sun, and J. G. Xie, 2013: The relationship between the rainfall during the annually first rainy season in Guangdong and the quasi-biweekly oscillation of wind field in the north of south China sea. Journal of Tropical Meteorology, 29, 189–197, https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1004-4965.2013.02.002. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Huang, S. S., 1986: The Heavy Rain during the Pre-summer Period over Southern China. Guangdong Technology Press, 244 pp. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Joyce, R. J., J. E. Janowiak, P. A. Arkin, and P. P. Xie, 2004: CMORPH: A method that produces global precipitation estimates from passive microwave and infrared data at high spatial and temporal resolution. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 5, 487–503, https://doi.org/10.1175/1525-7541(2004)005<0487:CAMTPG>2.0.CO;2.Google Scholar
- Miao, C. S., Y. Y. Yang, J. H. Wang, and P. Li, 2018: A comparative study on characteristics and thermo-dynamic development mechanisms of two types of warm-sector heavy rainfall along the South China coast. Journal of Tropical Meteorology, 24(4), 494–507, https://doi.org/10.16555/j.1006-8775.2018.04.008.Google Scholar
- Raymond, D. J., and H. Jiang, 1990: A theory for long-lived mesoscale convective systems. J. Atmos. Sci., 47, 3067–3077, https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(1990)047<3067:ATFLLM>2.0.CO;2.Google Scholar
- Tong, T. N., C. S. Wu, A. Y. Wang, I. P. Hao, and H. B. Luo, 2007: An observational study of intraseasonal variations over Guangdong Province China during the rainy season of 1999. Journal of Tropical Meteorology, 23, 683–689, https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1004-4965.2007.06.025. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Uccellini, L. W., and D. R. Johnson, 1979: The coupling of upper and lower tropospheric jet streaks and implications for the development of severe convective storms. Mon. Wea. Rev., 107, 682–703, https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1979)107<0682:TCOUAL>2.0.CO;2.Google Scholar
- Wang, L. J., Y. Pang, B. Yu, and Y. J. Li, 2014: The characteristics of persistent heavy rain events and 10–30 day low-frequency circulation in Yangtze-Huaihe River Basin during Meiyu period. Journal of Tropical Meteorology, 30, 851–860, https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1044-4965.2014.05.005. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhang, T., F. Y. Wei, and X. Han, 2011: Low frequency oscillations of southern hemispheric critical systems and precipitation during flood season in south China. Journal of Applied Meteorological Science, 22, 265–274, https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1001-7313.2011.03.002. (in Chinese)Google Scholar