Predictable and Unpredictable Components of the Summer East Asia–Pacific Teleconnection Pattern
The East Asia–Pacific (EAP) teleconnection pattern is the dominant mode of circulation variability during boreal summer over the western North Pacific and East Asia, extending from the tropics to high latitudes. However, much of this pattern is absent in multi-model ensemble mean forecasts, characterized by very weak circulation anomalies in the mid and high latitudes. This study focuses on the absence of the EAP pattern in the extratropics, using state-of-the-art coupled seasonal forecast systems. The results indicate that the extratropical circulation is much less predictable, and lies in the large spread among different ensemble members, implying a large contribution from atmospheric internal variability. However, the tropical–mid-latitude teleconnections are also relatively weaker in models than observations, which also contributes to the failure of prediction of the extratropical circulation. Further results indicate that the extratropical EAP pattern varies closely with the anomalous surface temperatures in eastern Russia, which also show low predictability. This unpredictable circulation–surface temperature connection associated with the EAP pattern can also modulate the East Asian rainband.
Key wordsEAP pattern circulation seasonal forecast surface temperature eastern Russia
东亚-太平洋遥相关型(EAP型)是西北太平洋-东亚地区夏季环流变化的主要模态, 其结构范围从热带延伸至中高纬度地区. 然而, 在多模式集合平均预报中, EAP型没有出现, 其中高纬度地区环流异常非常弱. 本文利用现阶段较先进的季度预测系统, 分析了预测系统无法预测出EAP型热带外分量的原因. 结果表明, EAP型的热带外环流可预测性较低, 主要由于模式不同积分成员之间存在非常大的离散度, 受大气内部变率的影响. 另一方面, 模式所预测的EAP型的经向联系相对于观测较弱, 这也导致了模式无法预测出该遥相关型的热带外分量. 进一步的研究发现, EAP型的热带外分量与俄罗斯东部地区表面温度异常的变化紧密联系, 后者的可预测性也较低. 与EAP型相联系的这种环流-表面温度的不可预测性也将调制东亚降水雨带的变化.
关键词东亚-太平洋遥相关 环流 季度预测 表面温度 俄罗斯东部
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 41320104007, 41775083 and U1502233). This work and its contributors were also supported by the UK–China Research & Innovation Partnership Fund through the Met Office Climate Science for Service Partnership (CSSP) China as part of the Newton Fund.
- Adler, R. F., and Coauthors, 2003: The version-2 global precipitation climatology project (GPCP) monthly precipitation analysis (1979 Present). Journal of Hydrometeorology, 4, 1147–1167, https://doi.org/10.1175/1525-7541(2003)004<1147:TVGPCP>2.0.CO;2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kalnay, E., and Coauthors, 1996: The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 77, 437–472, https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0477(1996)077<0437:TNYRP>2.0.CO;2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kosaka, Y., S.-P. Xie, N.-C. Lau, and G. A. Vecchi, 2013: Origin of seasonal predictability for summer climate over the Northwestern Pacific. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110, 7574–7579, https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1215582110.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li, C. F., W. Chen, X. W. Hong, and R. Y. Lu, 2017: Why was the strengthening of rainfall in summer over the Yangtze River valley in 2016 less pronounced than that in 1998 under similar preceding El Ni˜no events?—Role of midlatitude circulation in August. Adv. Atmos. Sci., 34(11), 1290–1300, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00376-017-7003-8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li, Y. S., Y. Q. Xu, and Y. Wang, 2014b: Comparative analysis on flood cause in the Nenjiang basin between 2013 and 1998. Meteorological and Environmental Research, 5, 16–21, 25.Google Scholar
- Van Der Linden, P., and J. F. B. Mitchell, 2009: ENSEMBLES: climate change and its impacts: summary of research and results from the ENSEMBLES project. GOCE-CT-2003-505539, Met Office Hadley Centre, FitzRoy Road, Exeter EX1 3PB, UK, 160 pp.Google Scholar
- Wang, B., R. G. Wu, and X. H. Fu, 2000: Pacific-East Asian teleconnection: How does ENSO affect East Asian climate? J. Climate, 13, 1517–1536, https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(2000)013<1517:PEATHD>2.0.CO;2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang, R. W., Y. Tao, and J. Cao, 2010: A mechanism for the interannual variation of the early summer East Asia-Pacific teleconnection wave train. Acta Meteorologica Sinica, 24, 452–458.Google Scholar