Long-Term Trends of Carbon Monoxide Total Columnar Amount in Urban Areas and Background Regions: Ground- and Satellite-based Spectroscopic Measurements
- 46 Downloads
A comparative study was carried out to explore carbon monoxide total columnar amount (CO TC) in background and polluted atmosphere, including the stations of ZSS (Zvenigorod), ZOTTO (Central Siberia), Peterhof, Beijing, and Moscow, during 1998–2014, on the basis of ground- and satellite-based spectroscopic measurements. Interannual variations of CO TC in different regions of Eurasia were obtained from ground-based spectroscopic observations, combined with satellite data from the sensors MOPITT (2001–14), AIRS (2003–14), and IASI MetOp-A (2010–13). A decreasing trend in CO TC (1998–2014) was found at the urban site of Beijing, where CO TC decreased by 1.14%±0.87% yr−1. Meanwhile, at the Moscow site, CO TC decreased remarkably by 3.73%±0.39% yr−1. In the background regions (ZSS, ZOTTO, Peterhof), the reduction was 0.9%–1.7% yr−1 during the same period. Based on the AIRSv6 satellite data for the period 2003–14, a slight decrease (0.4%–0.6% yr−1) of CO TC was detected over the midlatitudes of Eurasia, while a reduction of 0.9%–1.2% yr−1 was found in Southeast Asia. The degree of correlation between the CO TC derived from satellite products (MOPITTv6 Joint, AIRSv6 and IASI MetOp-A) and ground-based measurements was calculated, revealing significant correlation in unpolluted regions. While in polluted areas, IASI MetOp-A and AIRSv6 data underestimated CO TC by a factor of 1.5–2.8. On average, the correlation coefficient between ground- and satellite-based data increased significantly for cases with PBL heights greater than 500 m.
Key wordscarbon monoxide trend spectroscopic measurement MOPITT AIRS IASI
基于1998-2014年期间地基和卫星高光谱辐射测量数据对污染和背景地区的CO总量进行了综合比较研究, 包括了莫斯科郊区ZSS (Zvenigorod)站, 西伯利亚中部ZOTTO站, 圣彼得堡Peterhof站, 北京和莫斯科观测站所代表的附近地区. 利用较长时期的地基高光谱观测结合卫星高光谱观测数据获得了欧亚大陆不同地区的CO柱总量的年际变化特征. 采用的卫星数据有MOPITT (2001–2014), AIRS (2003–2014)和IASI MetOp-A (2010–2013). 观测数据分析表明, 北京都市区的CO柱总量(1998-2014)呈现下降趋势, 年均速率为1.14% ± 0.87%, 而莫斯科地区下降幅度很大, 达到年均3.73% ± 0.39%. 在作为大都市参照的乡村背景地区(如ZSS, ZOTTO, Peterhof), 同期CO柱总量下降趋势为年均0.9%–1.7%. 基于2003-2014年间的AIRSv6卫星数据产品分析发现, 欧亚大陆中纬度地区CO柱总量有小幅度下降, 只有0.4%–0.6% 每年, 而东南亚地区下降幅度较大, 达到0.9%–1.2%每年. 从卫星数据(MOPITTv6, AIRSv6和IASI MetOp-A)的相关性分析看出, 洁净地区的相关性较高, 而对于污染地区, IASI MetOp-A 和AIRSv6 数据严重低估了CO柱总量, 达到1.5–2.8倍. 当大气边界层高度大于500米时, 地基和卫星观测数据的相关系数总体上显著增大.
关键词一氧化碳 变化趋势 高光谱测量 MOPITT AIRS IASI
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors express their gratitude to L. Yurganov for assistance with the interpretation of the satellite data and for useful discussion. The work was jointly supported by the National Key Research and Development Program of China (Grant No. 2017YFB0504000), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 41575034 and 41175030), the Russian Science Foundation [Grant Nos. 14-47-00049 (ZOTTO and Beijing data), 16-17-10275 (Moscow and ZSS data) and 14-17-00096 (Peterhof data analysis)], and the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (Grant No. 16-05-00732).
- Air Resources Laboratory, 2014: Gridded Meteorological Data Archives (GDAS1 Dataset). [Available online from http://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/pub/archives/gdas1]Google Scholar
- Arshinov, M. Y., and Coauthors, 2014: Comparison between satellite spectrometric and aircraft measurements of the gaseous composition of the troposphere over Siberia during the forest fires of 2012. Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 50, 916–928, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001433814090047. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Deeter, M. N., D. P. Edwards, G. L. Francis, J. C. Gille, S. Mart´ınez-Alonso, H. M. Worden, and C. Sweeney, 2017: A climate-scale satellite record for carbon monoxide: The MOPITT Version 7 product. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 10, 2533–2555, https://doi.org/10.5194/amt-10-2533-2017. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Duncan, B. N., J. A. Logan, I. Bey, I. A. Megretskaia, R. M. Yantosca, P. C. Novelli, N. B. Jones, and C. P. Rinsland, 2007: Global budget of CO, 1988–1997: Source estimates and validation with a global model. J. Geophys. Res., 112, D22301, https://doi.org/10.1029/2007JD008459. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fokeeva, E. V., A. N. Safronov, V. S. Rakitin, L. N. Yurganov, E. I. Grechko, and R. A. Shumskii, 2011: Investigation of the 2010 July–August fires impact on carbon monoxide atmospheric pollution in Moscow and its outskirts, estimating of emissions. Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 47, 682–698, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001433811060041. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garsia, O., M. Schneider, F. Hase, T. Blumenstok, A. Wiegele, E. Sepúlveda, and A. Gómez-Peláez, 2013: Validation of the IASI operational CH4 and N2O products using ground-based Fourier Transform Spectrometer: Preliminary results at the Iza˜na Observatory (28◦N, 17◦W). Annals of Geophysics, 56, Fast Track-1, https://doi.org/10.4401/ag-6326.
- Hase, F., J. W. Hannigan, M. T. Coffey, A. Goldman, M. Höpfner, N. B. Jones, C. P. Rinsland, and S. W. Wood, 2004: Intercomparison of retrieval codes used for the analysis of high-resolution, ground-based FTIR measurements. Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, 87, 25–52, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jqsrt.2003.12.008. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- IPCC, 2001: Climate Change 2001: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, UK and New York, USA.Google Scholar
- IPCC, 2007: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, UK and New York, USA.Google Scholar
- IPCC, 2013: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, UK and New York, USA.Google Scholar
- Khalil, M. A. K., J. P. Pinto, and M. J. Shearer, 1999: Preface: Atmospheric carbon monoxide. Chemosphere: Global Change Science 1, xi–xiii.Google Scholar
- Makarova, M. V., A. V. Poberovskii, and Y. M. Timofeev, 2004: Temporal Variability of Total Atmospheric Carbon Monoxide over St. Petersburg. Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 40, 313–322.Google Scholar
- McMillan, W. W., K. D. Evans, C. D. Barnet, E. S. Maddy, G. W. Sachse, and G. S. Diskin, 2011: Validating the AIRS Version 5 CO retrieval with DACOM in situ measurements during INTEX-A and -B. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., 49, 2802–2813, https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2011.2106505. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Olsen, E. T., 2015: AIRS/AMSU/HSB Version 6: Level 2 Product User Guide. http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/AIRS/documentation/v6 docs/v6releasedocs-1/V6 L2 Product User Guide.pdf.Google Scholar
- Safronov, A. N., E. V. Fokeeva, V. S. Rakitin, L. N. Yurganov, and E. I. Grechko, 2012: Carbon monoxide emissions in summer 2010 in the central part of the Russian Plain and estimation of their uncertainties with the use of different land-cover maps. Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 48, 925–940, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001433812090150. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sitnov, S. A., G. I. Gorchakov, M. A. Sviridenkov, I. A. Gorchakova, A. V. Karpov, and A. B. Kolesnikova, 2013: Aerospace monitoring of smoke aerosol over the European part of Russia in the Period of massive forest and peatbog fires in July–August of 2010. Atmospheric and Oceanic Optics, 26, 265–280, https://doi.org/10.1134/S1024856013040143. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vasileva, A. V., K. B. Moiseenko, J.-C. Mayer, N. Jürgens, A. Panov, M. Heimann, and M. O. Andreae, 2011: Assessment of the regional atmospheric impact of wildfire emissions based on CO observations at the ZOTTO tall tower station in central Siberia. J. Geophys. Res., 116, D07301, https://doi.org/10.1029/2010JD014571. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, P.-C., G. S. Golitsyn, G. C. Wang, E. I. Grechko, V. S. Rakitin, E. V. Fokeeva, and A. V. Dzhola, 2014: Variation trend and characteristics of anthropogenic CO column content in the atmosphere over Beijing and Moscow. Atmospheric and Oceanic Science Letters, 7, 243–247, https://doi.org/10.3878/j.issn.1674-2834.13.0106. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yurganov, L., W. McMillan, E. Grechko, and A. Dzhola, 2010: Analysis of global and regional CO burdens measured from space between 2000 and 2009 and validated by ground-based solar tracking spectrometers. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 3479–3494, https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-10-3479-2010. CrossRefGoogle Scholar