Comparison of three bounding regions with cubic convergence to planar freeform curves
- 133 Downloads
We compare the relative performance of bounding regions generated by three different curve-bounding methods with cubic convergence to planar freeform curves: spiral fat arcs (SFA) (Barton and Elber in Graph Models 73(2):50–57, 2011), bilens (Kumosenko in Comput Aided Geom Des 30(3):310–330, 2013), and bounding circular arcs (BCA) (Meek and Walton in J Comput Appl Math 59(2):221–231, 1995). For quantitative comparison, we consider three different criteria: geometric complexity (the number of circular arcs and line segments), construction time, and numerical stability. The BCA construction after one-step refinement (producing four circular arcs) is almost comparable to the other two methods in geometric complexity: the SFA with two circular arcs and two line segments, and the bilens with four circular arcs. In other comparison criteria, the BCA approach is more efficient and stable than the other two methods in producing a hierarchy of bounding regions that approximate a family of freeform planar curves within a given error bound.
KeywordsPlanar freeform curves Monotone spiral curve Bounding circular arcs Dynamic BVH
This work was supported in part by the People Programme (Marie Curie Actions) of the European Unions Seventh Framework Programme FP7/2007-2013/ under REA Grant agreement PIAP-GA-2011-286426, in part by the Israel Science Foundation (Grant No. 278/13), and also in part by the Korean MCST and KOCCA in the CT R&D Program 2014 (No. R2014060001), and in part by NRF Research Grants (No. 2013R1A1A2010085).
- 6.Coons, S.: Surfaces for Computer-Aided Design. Technical report, MIT, 1964. Available as AD 663 504 from the National Technical Information Service. Springfield, VA, 22161Google Scholar
- 7.Ericson, C.: Real-Time Collision Detection. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Gottschalk, S., Lin, M., Manocha, D.: OBB-tree: a hierarchical structure for rapid interference detection. Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH 1996), pp. 171–180 (1996)Google Scholar
- 12.Kim, Y.-J., Oh, Y.-T., Yoon, S.-H., Kim, M.-S., Elber, G.: Coons BVH for freeform geometric models. ACM Trans. Graph. 30(6), Article 169, SIGGRAPH Asia (2011)Google Scholar
- 18.Larsen, E., Gottschalk, S., Lin, M.C., Manocha, D.: Fast proximity queries using swept sphere volumes. Technical report TR99-018, Dept. of Computer Science, UNC (1999)Google Scholar
- 23.Quinlan, S.: Efficient distance computation between non-convex objects. IEEE international conference on robotics and automation, pp. 3324–3329 (1994)Google Scholar