Visibility-driven progressive volume photon tracing
- 271 Downloads
In this paper, we present a novel approach to progressive photon-based volume rendering techniques. By making use of two Kd-trees (built in a preprocessing step) to store view beams (primary rays intersecting the medium) and visible points, our method allows to handle scenes with specular and refractive objects as well as homogeneous and heterogeneous participating media and does not require the storage of photon maps, which solves the memory management issue. These data structures are used to drive the photon shooting process by considering the photon visibility as an importance function (similarly to Hachisuka and Jensen in ACM Trans. Graph. 30(5):114:1–114:11, 2011) for scenes containing participating media. Finally, we demonstrate that our method can be easily combined with the most recent particle tracing approaches such as the one presented in Jarosz et al. (ACM Trans. Graph., vol. 30(6), 2011).
KeywordsRendering Global illumination Participating media Markov chain Monte Carlo
Charly Collin has been supported in part by NSF grant IIS-1064427. Thanks go to the reviewers for their valuable reviews.
- 1.Chandrasekhar, S.: Radiative Transfer. Dover, New York (1960) Google Scholar
- 3.Hachisuka, T., Ogaki, S., Jensen, H.W.: Progressive photon mapping. ACM Trans. Graph. 27, 130:1–130:8 (2008) Google Scholar
- 5.Jakob, W.: Mitsuba renderer (2010). http://www.mitsuba-renderer.org
- 6.Jarosz, W., Nowrouzezahrai, D., Thomas, R., Sloan, P.P., Zwicker, M.: Progressive photon beams. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH Asia. ACM Trans. Grap., vol. 30(6) (2011) Google Scholar
- 12.Novák, J., Nowrouzezahrai, D., Dachsbacher, C., Jarosz, W.: Progressive virtual beam lights. In Proceedings of EGSR 2012. Comput. Graph. Forum, vol. 31(4) (2012) Google Scholar
- 13.Novák, J., Nowrouzezahrai, D., Dachsbacher, C., Jarosz, W.: Virtual ray lights for rendering scenes with participating media. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH 2012. ACM Trans. Graph., vol. 31(4) (2012) Google Scholar