Automatic dimensional reduction and meshing of stiffened thin-wall structures
- 416 Downloads
The creation of idealised, dimensionally reduced meshes for preliminary design and optimisation remains a time-consuming, manual task. A dimensionally reduced model is ideal for assessing design changes through modification of element properties without the need to create a new geometry or mesh. In this paper, a novel approach for automating the creation of mixed dimensional meshes is presented. The input to the process is a solid model which has been decomposed into a non-manifold assembly of smaller volumes with different meshing significance. Associativity between the original solid model and the dimensionally reduced equivalent is maintained. The approach is validated by means of a free-free modal analysis on an output mesh of a gas turbine engine component of industrial complexity. Extensions and enhancements to this work are also discussed.
KeywordsDimensional reduction Idealisation Meshing CAD CAE CAD–CAE integration Mixed dimensional modelling
The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Communitys Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement no. 234344 (http://www.crescendo-fp7.eu). The authors would like to thank the various partners for their support throughout the course of the work.
- 4.SIEMENS. Siemens plm software, July (2012). http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/
- 7.Lee KY, Armstrong CG, Price MA, Lamont JH (2005) A small feature suppression/unsuppression system for preparing b-rep models for analysis. In: ACM symposium on solid modeling and applications, SM, pp 113–124Google Scholar
- 14.Blum H (1967) A transformation for extracting new descriptors of shape. Models for the Perception of Speech and Visual Form. MIT Press, Cambridge, pp 362–380Google Scholar
- 16.Makem JE, Armstrong CG, Robinson TT (2012) Automatic decomposition and efficient semi-structured meshing of complex solids. Eng Comput. doi: 10.1007/s00366-012-0302-x
- 18.CADfix. TranscenData, October (2012). http://www.transcendata.com/products/cadfix/
- 19.Lee SH, Lee K (2001) Partial entity structure: a compact non-manifold boundary representation based on partial topological entities, In: Proceedings of the sixth ACM symposium on Solid modeling and applications, pp 159–170Google Scholar