Uniformly most powerful unbiased test for shoulder condition in point transect sampling
- 120 Downloads
Point transect sampling is a well-known methodology for estimating wildlife population density. In this context, the usual approach is to assume a model for the detection function. Thus, the estimate depends on the shape of the detection function. In particular, the estimation is influenced by the so-called shoulder condition, which guarantees that detection is nearly certain at small distances from the observer. For instance, the half-normal model satisfies this condition, whereas the negative exponential model does not. Testing whether the shoulder condition is consistent with data is a crucial issue. In this paper we propose the uniformly most powerful unbiased test for the shoulder condition in the exponential mixture model of the half-normal and the negative exponential. Critical values of the proposed test are calculated for large samples by means of asymptotic distribution theory and for small samples via Monte Carlo simulations. Finally, a case study is presented.
KeywordsDistance sampling Detection function Shoulder condition Uniformly most powerful unbiased test Exponential Family
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)62F03 62D05 62P12
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barabesi L (2001) Local parametric density estimation methods in line transect sampling. Metron LIX: 21–37Google Scholar
- Borgoni R, Quatto P (2009) On the uniformly most powerful invariant test for the shoulder condition in line transect sampling. Stat Appl VII:15–24Google Scholar
- Borgoni R, Cameletti M, Quatto P (2005) Comparing estimators of animal abundance: a simulation study. In: Atti del Convegno della Società Italiana di Statistica “Statistica e Ambiente”. Università degli Studi di Messina, Messina, pp 181–184Google Scholar
- Lehmann EL (2001) Elements of large-sample theory. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Panjabi A (2003) Monitoring the birds of the Black Observatory, Fort Collins, COGoogle Scholar
- Zhang S (2003). A note on testing the shoulder condition in line transect sampling. In: Proceedings of the 2003 Hawaii international conference on statistics and related topicsGoogle Scholar