Estimation of mean in presence of non-response using two phase sampling scheme
- 488 Downloads
This paper considers the problem of estimating the population mean using information on an auxiliary variable in presence of non-response. Some modified ratio, product and regression estimators in double sampling have been suggested and their properties are studied. It is shown that to the first degree of approximation, estimators based on estimated optimum values have the same variance as that of the optimum estimators. An empirical study is carried to judge the merits of the suggested estimators over conventional unbiased estimator and other known estimators. Both theoretical and empirical study results present the soundness and usefulness of the suggested estimators in practice.
KeywordsPopulation mean Study variate Auxiliary variate Double sampling Bias Variance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cochran WG (1977) Sampling tehniques, 3rd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Murthy MN (1967) Sampling theory and methods, 1st edn. Calcutta Statistical society, Kolkatta, pp 127–130Google Scholar
- Okafor FC, Lee H (2000) Double sampling for ratio and regression estimation with sub-sampling the non-respondents. Surv Methodol 26(2): 183–188Google Scholar
- Rao PSRS (1986) Ratio estimation with sub-sampling the non-respondents. Surv Methodol 12(2): 217–230Google Scholar
- Rao PSRS (1987) Ratio and regression estimates with sub-sampling the non-respondents. Paper presented at a special contributed session of the International Statistical Association Meeting, Sept., 2–16, Tokyo, JapanGoogle Scholar
- Reddy VN (1973) On ratio and product method of estimation. Sankhya (B) 35: 307–316Google Scholar
- Srivastava SK (1967) An estimator using auxiliary information in sample surveys. Calcutta Stat Assoc Bull 16: 121–132Google Scholar
- Srivastava S (1993) Some problems on the estimation of population mean using auxiliary character in presence of non-response in sample surveys. Thesis Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India (submitted)Google Scholar