Constructing a Site for Publishing Open Data of the Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry
We describe a procedure for constructing a website for publishing open data by focusing on the case of Open DATA METI, a website of the Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry of Japan. We developed two sites for publishing open data: a data catalog site and one for searching linked open data (LOD). The former allows users to find relevant data they want to use, and the latter allows them to utilize the found data by connecting them. To implement the data catalog site, we constructed a site tailored to the needs of the organization. Then we extracted a large amount of metadata from the individual open data and put it on the site. These activities would have taken a lot of time if we had used the existing methods, so we devised our own solutions for them. To implement the LOD searching site, we converted the data into LOD in the Resource Description Framework (RDF). We focused on converting statistical data into tables, which are widely used. Regarding the conversion, there were several kinds of missing information that we needed to associate with the data in the tables. We created a template for incorporating the necessary information for LOD in the original table. The conversion into LOD was automatically done using the template.
KeywordsLinked Open Data Catalog Site SPARQL Endpoint Open DATA METI Data Cube Vocabulary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asano, Y., et al, “Template for Converting Statistical Data to RDF,” in Proc. of the 12 th Forum on Information Technology (FIT2013), 12, 2, pp. 361–362, 2013.Google Scholar
- 2.Asano, Y., et al, “A Template for Handling Statistical Data in RDF,” in Proc. of Second International Workshop on Semantic Statistics (SemStats2014), 2014.Google Scholar
- 3.Berners-Lee, T., “Linked Data,” http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html, 2006.
- 4.Chang, C. H., et al., “A Survey of Web Information Extraction Systems,” IEEE Transactions, 18, 10, pp. 1411–1428, IEEE, 2006.Google Scholar
- 5.Han, L., et al., “RDF123: From Spreadsheets to RDF,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 5318, pp. 451–466, 2008.Google Scholar
- 6.Hitachi Consulting Co., Ltd., “Report of Research about Open Data Promotion,” Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry, http://www.meti.go.jp/meti_lib/report/2014fy/E004103.pdf, 2014.
- 7.IT Strategic Headquarters, “Open Government Data Strategy,” http://japan.kantei.go.jp/policy/it/20120704/text.pdf, 2012.
- 8.IT Strategic Headquarters, “Roadmap for Electronic Government Open Data Promotion,” http://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/singi/it2/kettei/pdf/20130614/siryou3.pdf, 2013.
- 9.“G8 Open Data Charter,” https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/207772/Open_Data_Charter.pdf, 2013.
- 10.Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry, “OpenDataMETI Application Profile V1.0,” http://datameti.go.jp/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/OpenDATAMETI-ApplicationProfile_v1.0.pdf, 2014.
- 11.Koide, et al, “An LOD Practice - Lessons and Learned from Open Data METI,” in Proc. of 2013 Linked Data in Practice Workshop, 2013.Google Scholar
- 12.“The Basic Idea about the Data Published by the Ministries for the Promotion of Secondary Use (Guideline) (Appendix),” http://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/singi/it2/densi/kettei/gl_betten.pdf, 2013.
- 13.Salas, P. R., et al., “Publishing Statistical Data on the Web,” in Proc. of IEEE Sixth International Conference on Semantic Computing, pp. 285–292, IEEE Press, 2012.Google Scholar
- 14.Sauermann, L., et al., “Cool URIs for the Semantic Web,” W3C Interest Group Note, http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/, 2008.
- 15.Takeda, H., et al., “Towards LOD of Species to Build the Biology Information Infrastructure,” in Proc. of the 26 th Annual Conference of the Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1–4, 2012.Google Scholar
- 16.Takeda, H., et al., “Presentation of Statistical Data and their Relationships LOD,” in Proc. of the 27 th Annual Conference of the Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence, 2013.Google Scholar
- 17.Taylor, S., et al., “Reasoning Driven Configuration of Linked Data Content Management Systems,” in Proc. of the 3rd Joint International Semantic Technology Conference (JIST2013), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 8388, pp. 429–444, 2014.Google Scholar
- 18.W3C, “OWL Web Ontology Language Reference,” http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/, 2004.
- 19.W3C, “The RDF Data Cube Vocabulary,” http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-data-cube/, 2014.