Quantum nanospheres for sub-micron particle image velocimetry
- 221 Downloads
Quantum Nanospheres™ (QNs) have been developed as a new type of flow-tracing particle for micron resolution particle image velocimetry (PIV). The 70 nm diameter QNs were created by conjugating quantum dots to polystyrene beads. The fluorescent QNs have a large Stokes’ shift and are impervious to photobleaching. The use of QNs as flow-tracing particles for micro-PIV was demonstrated by measuring fluid motion in a 30 × 300 μm channel. Using an interrogation region of 1 × 1,024 pixels and ensemble averaging 1,800 image pairs, the physical volume of the interrogation region was 117 μm × 117 μm × 2 μm.
Particle image velocimetry
Neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet
Scanning electron microscope
This work has been supported by the Institute for Collaborative Biotechnologies through grant DAAD19-03-D-0004 from the U.S. Army; by AFOSR grants FA9550-04-C-0114 & FA9950-04-0106; and by NSF:NIRT CTS-0404444. We would like to thank Ms Tanja Siegmann, of the University of Bremen, who conducted the initial investigation into the use of QDs as flow-tracing particles. The experiments conducted in this research comply with the current laws of the United States of America, where they were performed.
- Guasto JS, Huang P, Breuer KS (2005) Statistical particle tracking velocimetry using molecular and quantum dot tracer particles. Paper IMECE2005-80051, Proceedings of ASME IMECE, Orlando, FL, November 2005Google Scholar
- Happel J, Brenner H (1983) Low Reynolds number hydrodynamics with special applications to particulate media. Kluwer, HinghamGoogle Scholar
- Ness JM, Akhtar RS, Latham CB, Roth KA (2003) Combined tyramide signal amplification and quantum dots for sensitive and photostable immunofluorescence detection. J Histochem Cytochem 51(8):981–987Google Scholar
- Quantum Dot Corp. website (2005) www.qdot.comGoogle Scholar
- Watson A, Wu X, Bruchez M (2003) Lighting up cells with quantum dots. BioTechniques 34:296–303Google Scholar
- Wereley ST, Meinhart CD (2004) Micron resolution particle image velocimetry. In: Breuer K (ed) Micro- and nano-scale diagnostic techniques. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Wu X (2003) Detecting nuclear antigens using Qdot streptavidin conjugates. Quantum Dot Vis 1:10–13Google Scholar
- Zettner C, Yoda M (2003) Particle velocity field measurements in a near-wall flow using evanescent wave illumination. Exp Fluids 34(1):115–121Google Scholar