A correction method for measuring turbulence kinetic energy dissipation rate by PIV
- 1.1k Downloads
The accuracy of turbulent kinetic energy (TKE) dissipation rate measured by PIV is studied. The critical issue for PIV-based dissipation measurements is the strong dependency on the spatial resolution, Δx, as reported by Saarenrinne and Piirto (Exp Fluids Suppl:S300–S307, 2000). When the PIV spacing is larger than the Kolmogorov scale, η, the dissipation is underestimated because the small scale fluctuations are filtered. For the case of Δx smaller than the Kolmogorov scale, the error rapidly increases due to noise. We introduce a correction method to eliminate the dominant error for the small Δx case. The correction method is validated by using a novel PIV benchmark, random Oseen vortices synthetic image test (ROST), in which quasi-turbulence is generated by randomly superposing multiple Oseen vortices. The error of the measured dissipation can be more than 1,000% of the analytical dissipation for the small Δx case, while the dissipation rate is underestimated for the large Δx case. Though the correction method does not correct the underestimate due to the low resolution, the dissipation was accurately obtained within a few percent of the true value by using the correction method for the optimal resolution of η/10 < Δx < η/2.
This research was supported by NASA grant NCC3-640.
- Antonia RA, Zhu Y, Kim J (1993) On the measurement of lateral velocity derivatives in turbulent flows. Exp Fluids 15:65–69Google Scholar
- Eaton JK, Tanaka T (2006) Particle interaction with homogeneous turbulence. Forty Fourth AIAA Aerosp Sci Meet Exhibit 44:1–3Google Scholar
- Ferziger JH (1981) Numerical methods for engineering application. Wiley, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Huang H, Fiedler H, Wang J (1993) Limitation and improvement of PIV: part II. Particle image distortion, a novel technique. Exp Fluids 15(263):73Google Scholar
- Raffel M, Willert C, Kompenhans J (1998) Particle image velocimetry. Springer, Heidelberg, p 144Google Scholar
- Saarenrinne P, Piirto M, Eloranta H (2001) Experiences of turbulence measurement with PIV. Meas Sci Technol 8:1393–1398Google Scholar