Matching index of refraction using a diethyl phthalate/ethanol solution for in vitro cardiovascular models
- 338 Downloads
Experiments studying cardiovascular geometries require a working fluid that matches the high index of refraction of glass and silicone, has a low viscosity, and is safe and inexpensive. A good candidate working fluid is diethyl phthalate (DEP), diluted with ethanol. Measurements were made of index of refraction and viscosity of varied dilutions at a range of temperatures, and empirical models are proposed. Material compatibility tests showed that only specific formulations of ABS, acrylic, vinyl and PVC are compatible. A silicone elastomer additionally tested negative for change in compliance with DEP exposure.
KeywordsParticle Image Velocimetry Silicone Elastomer Diethyl Phthalate National Fire Protection Association Material Safety Data Sheet
This work is supported by NIH Grant GM066728-01. The authors would like to thank Craig Lanning for his help.
- Donnelly R (1981) Fluid dynamics. In: Anderson H (ed) AIP 50th anniversary physics vade mecum. American Institute of Physics, New York, pp 193–195Google Scholar
- Drexler E, Slifka A, Wright J, McCowan C, Finch D, Quinn T, McColskey J, Ivy D, Shandas R (2003) An experimental method for measuring mechanical properties of rat pulmonary arteries verified with latex. NIST J Res 108:183–191Google Scholar
- Fischer Scientific (2005) http://www.fischerscientific.com
- Forsythe W (ed) (1954) Smithsonian physical tables, 9th edn. The Smithsonian Institution, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- Hooper H (1992) MS Thesis, Uuniversity of Idaho, Moscow, IDGoogle Scholar
- Lide D (ed) (2004) CRC handbook of chemistry and physics, 85th edn. CRC, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Liu C, Vafidis C, Whitelaw J (1994) Flow characteristics of a centrifugal pump. J Fluids Eng 116:303–309Google Scholar
- TableCurve 2D http://www.systat.com/products/TableCurve2D/
- Thompson B, Bouchery O, Lowney K (1998) Refractive-index-matching laser velocimetry for complex, isothermal flows. J Fluids Eng 120:204–207Google Scholar
- Uzol O, Chow Y, Katz J, Meneveau C (2002) Unobstructed particle image velocimetry measurements within an axial turbo-pump using liquid and blades with matched refractive indices. Exp Fluids 33:909–919Google Scholar