Is time from diagnosis to radical prostatectomy associated with oncological outcomes?
- 56 Downloads
To study the association between time from diagnosis to radical prostatectomy (RP-interval) and prostate cancer-specific mortality (PCSM), histological findings in the RP-specimen and failure after RP (RP-failure).
Patients diagnosed with non-metastatic prostate cancer (PCa) in 2001–2010 and prostatectomized within 180 days of biopsy were identified in the Cancer Registry of Norway and the Norwegian Prostate Cancer Registry. Patients were stratified according to risk groups and RP-intervals of 0–60, 61–90, 91–120 and 121–180 days. Aalen-Johansen and Kaplan–Meier methods estimated curves for PCSM, RP-failure and overall mortality. Multivariable Cox regressions and Chi-square tests were used to evaluate the impact of RP-interval on outcomes.
In 5163 eligible patients, the median time from diagnosis to RP was 93 days (range 1–180). Risk group distribution was similar in all RP-interval groups. With almost eight years of observation, no association was found between RP-interval and PCSM in the intermediate-or high-risk groups. Increasing RP-interval did not increase the rate of adverse histological outcomes or incidence of RP-failure.
Increasing RP-interval up to 180 days was not associated with adverse oncological outcomes at eight years follow-up. These findings should be considered when planning for prostatectomy.
KeywordsMortality Outcomes Prostate cancer Radical prostatectomy Timing
We would like to thank the Norwegian Cancer Society (Fund no. 5781243), the Radium Hospital Foundation (Project no. 335007) and the Vestre Viken Hospital Trust (Project no. 2503002) for financial support.
KA: Protocol/project development, Data collection or management, Data analysis, Manuscript writing/editing. SDF: Protocol/project development, Data collection or management, Data analysis, Manuscript writing/editing. RK: Data analysis, Manuscript writing/editing. BM: Protocol/project development, Data collection or management, Data analysis, Manuscript writing/editing. TÅM: Data collection or management, Data analysis, Manuscript writing/editing. LV: Data collection or management, Manuscript writing/editing. SM: Data analysis, Manuscript writing/editing. VB: Protocol/project development, Data analysis, Manuscript writing/editing.
This study was funded by the Norwegian Cancer Society (Fund no. 5781243), the Radium Hospital Foundation (Project no. 335007) and the Vestre Viken Hospital Trust (Project no. 2503002).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Cancer Registry of Norway (2017) Annual Report 2016 with Results and Improvements from the Norwegian Prostate Cancer Registry. https://www.kreftregisteret.no/globalassets/publikasjoner-og-rapporter/arsrapporter/publisert-2017/arsrapport-2016_prostatakreft.pdf. Accessed Oct 2018
- 4.Bruins HM, Aben KK, Arends TJ, Heijden AG, Witjes AJ (2016) The effect of the time interval between diagnosis of muscle-invasive bladder cancer and radical cystectomy on staging and survival: a Netherlands Cancer Registry analysis. Urol Oncol 34(4):e161–e166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2015.11.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Epstein JI, Allsbrook WC Jr, Amin MB, Egevad LL, Committee IG (2005) The 2005 International Society of Urological Pathology (ISUP) consensus conference on gleason grading of prostatic carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 29(9):1228–1242. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16096414. Accessed Oct 2018CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Abdollah F, Schmitges J, Sun M et al (2012) Comparison of mortality outcomes after radical prostatectomy versus radiotherapy in patients with localized prostate cancer: a population-based analysis. Int J Urol 19(9):836–844. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2012.03052.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Abern MR, Aronson WJ, Terris MK et al (2013) Delayed radical prostatectomy for intermediate-risk prostate cancer is associated with biochemical recurrence: possible implications for active surveillance from the SEARCH database. Prostate 73(4):409–417. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.22582 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Sundhedsstyrelsen (2016) Pakkeforløb for prostatakræft. https://www.sst.dk/da/sygdom-og-behandling/kraeft/pakkeforloeb/~/media/086DCAA5E5B14713BA08556124EB4681.ashx. Accessed Oct 2018
- 29.Norwegian Directorate of Health (2016) Pakkeforløp for prostatakreft. https://helsedirektoratet.no/retningslinjer/pakkeforlop-for-prostatakreft. Accessed Oct 2018