Otolith shape analysis for stock discrimination of two Collichthys genus croaker (Pieces: Sciaenidae,) from the northern Chinese coast
- 74 Downloads
The otolith morphology of two croaker species ( Collichthys lucidus and Collichthys niveatus ) from three areas (Liaodong Bay, LD; Huanghe (Yellow) River estuary, HRE; Jiaozhou Bay, JZ) along the northern Chinese coast were investigated for species identification and stock discrimination. The otolith contour shape described by elliptic Fourier coefficients (EFC) were analysed using principal components analysis (PCA) and stepwise canonical discriminant analysis (CDA) to identify species and stocks. The two species were well differentiated, with an overall classification success rate of 97.8%. And variations in the otolith shapes were significant enough to discriminate among the three geographical samples of C. lucidus (67.7%) or C. niveatus (65.2%). Relatively high mis-assignment occurred between the geographically adjacent LD and HRE samples, which implied that individual mixing may exist between the two samples. This study yielded information complementary to that derived from genetic studies and provided information for assessing the stock structure of C. lucidus and C. niveatus in the Bohai Sea and the Yellow Sea.
Keywordotolith size descriptors elliptic Fourier coefficients (EFC) stock structure Collichthys lucidus Collichthys niveatus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen D G. 1991. Fisheries Ecology in the Yellow Sea and the Bohai Sea. China Ocean Press, Beijing, China. p.273-276. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Dou S Z, Yu X, Cao L. 2012. Otolith shape analysis and its application in fish stock discrimination: a case study. Oceanol. Limnol. Sin., 43 (4): 701–712. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- He B Q, Li H Q. 1988. Stock assessment of Collichthys lucidus in pearl river esturary. J. Fish. China, 12 (2): 125–134. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Hu Y, Zhang T, Yang G, Zhao F, Hou J L, Zhang L Z, Zhuang P. 2015. Assessment of resource situation of Collichthys lucidus in coastal waters of the Yangtze estuary. Chin. J. Appl. Ecol., 26 (9): 2 867–2 873. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Sun X P. 2005. The Bohai Sea. In: Su J L ed. China Offshore Hydrology. China Ocean Press, Beijing, China. p.182-190. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Tang Y X. 2005. The Yellow Sea. In: Su J L ed. China Offshore Hydrology. China Ocean Press, Beijing, China. p.193-202. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- The People’s Republic of China Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries Bureau. 2006–2016. China Fisheries Yearbook. China Agriculture Press, Beijing, China. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wu Z X, Chen X L. 1991. Collichthy lucidus richardson: a preliminary study on the age and phasic growth of Collichthy lucidus. J. Zhejiang College Fish., 10 (2): 140–143. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Yin L N. 2013. Studies on genetic diversity and population structure of Collicht hyslucidus. Ocean University of China, Qingdao. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Zhao M, Song W, Ma C Y, Zhang F Y, Jiang K J, Song Z M, Ma L B. 2015. Population genetic structure of Collichthys lucidus based on the mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase subunit I sequence. J. Fish. Sci. China, 22 (2): 233–242.Google Scholar