Climate modulation on sea surface height in China seas
The climate modulation on the sea surface height (SSH) in China seas is investigated using a China Ocean Reanalysis (CORA) dataset from 1958–2008. The dataset is constructed by assimilating the temperature/salinity profiles derived from the satellite altimetry data and historical observational temperature/salinity profiles. Based on the Empirical Orthogonal Function (EOF), the CORA sea surface height anomaly (SSHa) is decomposed, and the interannual and decadal variability of the first three leading modes are analyzed. On the interannual timescale, the first principal component (PC1) is significant positively correlated with the El Niño/Southern Oscillation (ENSO). On the decadal timescale, North Pacific Gyre Oscillation (NPGO) has significant negative correlation with PC1 whereas Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) is in phase with PC3. Analysis shows that the decadal variability of SSH is mainly modulated by the wind stress curl variability related to the NPGO and PDO. In addition, the effect of net heat flux associated to the NPGO and PDO on SSH is also investigated, with net heat flux variability in the Luzon strait and tropic Pacific found to influence the decadal variability of SSH.
Keywordsea surface height El Niño/Southern Oscillation North Pacific Gyre Oscillation Pacific Decadal Oscillation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Di Lorenzo E, Schneider N, Cobb K M et al. 2008. North Pacific Gyre Oscillation links ocean climate and ecosystem change. Geophysical Research Letters, 35 (8): L08607, http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2007GL032838.Google Scholar
- Di Lorenzo E, Fiechter J, Schneider N et al. 2009. Nutrient and salinity decadal variations in the central and eastern North Pacific. Geophysical Research Letters, 36 (14): L14601, http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2009GL038261.Google Scholar
- Fang G H, Chen H Y, Wei Z X, Wang Y G, Wang X Y, Li C Y. 2006. Trends and interannual variability of the South China Sea surface winds, surface height, and surface temperature in the recent decade. Journal of Geophysical Research, 111 (C11), http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2005JC003276.Google Scholar
- Li L P, Wang C, Zhang K M. 2013. Possible relationship between the interannual anomaly of the tropical Pacific sea surface height and summer precipitation in China. Journal of Tropical Meteorology, 19 (1): 16–27.Google Scholar
- Lynn R J, Collins C A, Mantyla A W et al. 1998. The state of the California Current, 1997–1998: transition to El Niño conditions. Cal COFI Rep., 39: 25–49.Google Scholar
- Quenouille M H. 1952. Associated Measurements. Butterworths Scientific Publications, London. 242p.Google Scholar
- Wang J, Cheng X. 2013. Interannual/interdecadal variabilities of sea surface height in the South China Sea-correlation analysis with ENSO/PDO. American Geophysical Union, Fall meeting.Google Scholar
- Zhang X B, Church J A. 2012. Sea level trends, interannual and decadal variability in the Pacific Ocean. Geophysical Research Letters, 39 (21), http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2012GL053240.Google Scholar