A new species of Cerithium (Gastropoda: Cerithiidae) from the South China Sea
- 112 Downloads
Specimens of a new species of Cerithiidae, Cerithium mangrovum n. sp., were collected during two surveys along the coasts of Hainan and Guangdong Province, China. Usually associated with potamidid snails, this species often occurs in large populations between the mid-high tidal zones in a range of habitats, including mangroves, grass beds, silt, mud, and coral reefs. C. mangrovum n. sp. has a slender and tapering shell and the straight-sided whorl bears three aligned beaded spiral cords. The thick outer lip has a wide posterior sinus. It morphologically resembles C. coralium Kiener, 1841. The shell of C. coralium is usually larger and wider and the spiral cords are not as beaded as in C. mangrovum n. sp. Its radula has a rachidian tooth with a shallow, wide, median basal projection while the rachidian tooth of C. mangrovum n. sp. has a moderately long, median basal projection.
KeywordsGastropoda Cerithiidae Cerithium new species South China Sea
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hasegawa K, Saito H, Kubodera T, Xu F S. 2001. Marine mollusks collected from the Shallow waters of Hainan Island, South China Sea, by China-Japan Joint Research in 1997. National Science Museum Monographs, 21: 7–9.Google Scholar
- Hasegawa K. 2000. In: Okutani T ed. Marine Mollusks in Japan. Tokyo: Tokai University Press. p.113–126.Google Scholar
- Houbrick R S. 1978. Monographs of Marine Mollusca, 1. The family Cerithiidae in the Indo-Pacifi c. Part 1: the genera Rhinoclavis, Pseudovertagus and Clavocerithium. American Malacologists, Greenville. p.1–130.Google Scholar
- Houbrick R S. 1985. Genus Clypeomorus Jousseaume (Cerithiidae: Prosobranchia). Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington. p.1–131.Google Scholar
- Houbrick R S. 1992. Monograph of the Genus Cerithium Bruguiere in the Indo-Pacifi c (Cerithiidae: Prosobranchia). Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington DC. p.1–211.Google Scholar
- Houbrick R S. 1993. Phylogenetic relationships and generic review of the Bittiinae (Prosobranchia: Cerithioidea). Malacologia, 35(2): 261–313.Google Scholar
- Lai J Y, Zhong B S. 1998. The cerithiids of Taiwan. The Pei — Yo, 24: 21–28. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Poppe G T, Tagaro S P, Strong E. 2008. In: Poppe G T ed. Philippine Marine Mollusks: I. (Gastropoda-Part I). ConchBooks. p.288–297.Google Scholar
- Qi Z Y. 2004. Seashells of China. China Ocean Press, Beijing. p.39–42.Google Scholar
- Wilson B. 1993. Australian Marine Shells, 1. Prosobranch Gastropods, Part One. Odyssey Publishing, Kallaroo, Perth. p.113–124.Google Scholar
- Zhang S P. 2008. In: Liu R Y ed. Checklist of Marine Biota of China Seas. Science Press, Beijing. p.56–59. (in Chinese)Google Scholar