Henry’s law constant for phosphine in seawater: determination and assessment of influencing factors
- 136 Downloads
The Henry’s Law constant (k) for phosphine in seawater was determined by multiple phase equilibration combined with headspace gas chromatography. The effects of pH, temperature, and salinity on k were studied. The k value for phosphine in natural seawater was 6.415 at room temperature (approximately 23°C). This value increases with increases in temperature and salinity, but no obvious change was observed at different pH levels. At the same temperature, there was no significant difference between the k for phosphine in natural seawater and that in artificial seawater. This implies that temperature and salinity are major determining factors for k in marine environment. Double linear regression with Henry’s Law constants for phosphine as a function of temperature and salinity confirmed our observations. These results provide a basis for the measurement of trace phosphine concentrations in seawater, and will be helpful for future research on the status of phosphine in the oceanic biogeochemical cycle of phosphorus.
Keywordphosphine Henry’s Law constant seawater influencing factors multiple phase equilibration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Frank R, Rippen G. 1987. Verhalten von phosphin in der Atmosphäre (Fate of phosphine in the atmosphere). Lebensmitteltechnik, 17: 409–411.Google Scholar
- Liu J A, Yahui C H Z, Kuschk P, Eismann F, Glindemann D. 1999. Phosphine in the urban air of Beijing and its possible sources. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 116(3–4): 597–604.Google Scholar
- McAullif C. 1971. GC determination of solutes by multiple phase equilibration. Chemical Technology, (Jan): 46–51.Google Scholar
- Rolf S. 1999. Compilation of Henry’s Law Constants for Inorganic and Organic Species of Potential Importance in Environmental Chemistry(Version 3). http://www.mpchmainz.mpg.de/-sander/res/henry.html. Accessed on 2011-6-28.Google Scholar
- Wang Y H, Wang B Q. 2001. Determination of Henry’s law constants for dimethyl sulfide in seawater. Chinese Journal of Chromatography, 19(4): 358–360. (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Yu Z M, Song X X. 2003. Matrix-bound phosphine: a new form of phosphorus found in sediment of Jiaozhou Bay. Chinese Science Bulletin, 48(1): 31–35.Google Scholar