Effect of Mg doping concentration of electron blocking layer on the performance of GaN-based laser diodes
- 38 Downloads
Performance of InGaN-based laser diodes (LDs) with different Mg concentrations of electron blocking layer (EBL) is investigated by simulation and experimental methods. It is found from the simulation results that the threshold current decreases and slope efficiency increases, when the Mg concentration of EBL increases from 2 × 1018 to 6 × 1019 cm−3; it is attributed to the suppression of the leakage of electrons and the enhancement of the injection of holes due to the variation of potential barrier for them as the increase of Mg concentration of EBL. These simulation results agree well with the experimental ones, when the Mg concentration of EBL is lower than 7.5 × 1018 cm−3. However, it deteriorates when the Mg concentration increases to 1.2 × 1019 cm−3. It may be due to the increase of the absorption loss of LDs.
The authors acknowledge the support from Science Challenge Project (Grant no. TZ2016003), National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant nos. 61674138, 61674139, 61604145, 61574135, 61574134, 61474142, 61474110, 61377020, and 61376089), and Beijing Municipal Science and Technology Project (Grant no. Z161100002116037).
- 3.F. Liang, J. Yang, D.G. Zhao, Z.S. Liu, J.J. Zhu, P. Chen, D.S. Jiang, Y.S. Shi, H. Wang, L.H. Duan, L.Q. Zhang, H. Yang, Room-temperature continuous-wave operation of GaN-based blue–violet laser diodes with a lifetime longer than 1000 h. J. Semicond. 40, 1 (2019)Google Scholar
- 13.J. Yang, D.G. Zhao, D.S. Jiang, X. Li, F. Liang, P. Chen, J.J. Zhu, Z.S. Liu, S.T. Liu, L.Q. Zhang, M. Li, Performance of InGaN based green laser diodes improved by using an asymmetric InGaN/InGaN multi-quantum well active region. Opt. Express 25, 287124 (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.T. Lan, G.Z. Zhou, Y. Li, C.C. Wang, Z.Y. Wang, Mitigation of efficiency droop in an asymmetric GaN-Based high power laser diode with sandwiched GaN/InAlN/GaN lower quantum barrier. IEEE Photonics J. 10, 1504708 (2018)Google Scholar
- 15.F. Liang, D.G. Zhao, D.S. Jiang, Z.S. Liu, J.J. Zhu, P. Chen, J. Yang, W. Liu, X. Li, S.T. Liu, Y. Xing, L.Q. Zhang, W.J. Wang, M. Li, Y.T. Zhang, G.T. Du, Improvement of slope efficiency of GaN-Based blue laser diodes by using asymmetric MQW and InxGa1−xN lower waveguide. J. Alloys Compd. 731, 243 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.S.T. Liu, J. Yang, D.G. Zhao, D.S. Jiang, F. Liang, P. Chen, J.J. Zhu, Z.S. Liu, W. Liu, Y. Xing, L.Q. Zhang, W.J. Wang, M. Li, Y.T. Zhang, G.T. Du, Mg concentration profile and its control in the low temperature grown Mg-doped GaN epilayer. Superlattice Microstruct. 113, 690 (2018)CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar