Yb-fiber-pumped mid-infrared picosecond optical parametric oscillator tunable across 6.2–6.7 µm
We report a high-average-power picosecond optical parametric oscillator (OPO) tunable in the mid-infrared (mid-IR) based on CdSiP2 synchronously pumped by an Yb-fiber laser at ~ 80 MHz repetition rate. Successful operation of this high-repetition-rate singly-resonant picosecond OPO has been enabled by the improved CSP crystal quality over a long interaction length. The OPO can be tuned across 1264–1284 nm in the near-IR signal and 6205–6724 nm in the mid-IR idler by temperature tuning the CSP crystal over 39–134 °C. By deploying a 5% output coupler for the resonant signal, we have extracted up to 44 mW of average power in the near-IR and up to 95 mW of non-resonant idler power at 6205 nm at 6.3% total conversion efficiency, with > 50 mW over > 55% of the mid-IR tuning range. We have investigated temperature-tuning characteristics of the OPO and compared the data with the theoretical calculations using the recent Sellmeier and thermo-optic coefficients for CdSiP2. The signal pulses from the OPO exhibit a Gaussian pulse duration of 19 ps centered at 1284 nm. We have also studied the output power stability of the OPO, resulting in a passive stability better than 1.9% rms for the near-IR signal and 2.4% rms for the mid-IR idler, measured over > 17 h, with both beams in high spatial quality.
We acknowledge the support from Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO) (nuOPO, TEC2015-68234-R); European Commission (Horizon 2020 Framework Programme) (Project Mid-Tech, H2020-MSCA-ITN-2014); Generalitat de Catalunya (CERCA Programme); Severo Ochoa Programme for Centres of Excellence in R&D (SEV-2015-0522); Fundació Privada Cellex.
- 5.M. Ebrahim-Zadeh, Mid-infrared ultrafast and continuous-wave optical parametric oscillators. Solid State Mid Infrared Laser Sources 89, 179–218 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.M. Ebrahim-Zadeh, S. Chaitanya Kumar, Yb-fiber-laser-pumped ultrafast frequency conversion sources from the mid-infrared to the ultraviolet. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 20, 7600519 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.M. Ebrahim-Zadeh, S. Chaitanya Kumar, K. Devi, Yb-fiber-laser-pumped continuous-wave frequency conversion sources from the mid-infrared to the ultraviolet. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 20, 0902823 (2014)Google Scholar
- 20.C.F. O’Donnell, S. Chaitanya Kumar, K.T. Zawilski, P.G. Schunemann, M. Ebrahim-Zadeh, Critically phase-matched Ti:sapphire-laser-pumped deep-infrared femtosecond optical parametric oscillator based on CdSiP2. Opt. Lett. 43, 1507–1510 (2018)Google Scholar
- 28.A. Tyazhev, F. Pirzio, A. Agnesi, G. Reali, V. Petrov, G. Marchev, P.G. Schunemann, K.T. Zawilski, Narrowband, mid-infrared, seeded optical parametric generator based on non-critical CdSiP2 pumped by 120 ps, single longitudinal mode 1064 nm pulses. Appl. Phys. B 112, 453–456 (2013)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.P.G. Schunemann, L.A. Pomeranz, K.T. Zawilski, J. Wei, L.P. Gonzalez, S. Guha, T.M. Pollak, Efficient mid-infrared optical parametric oscillator based on CdSiP2. In Advances in Optical Materials, Conference Program and Technical Digest, San Jose, California, October 14–15, 2009, Paper AWA3 Google Scholar