Hydrodynamics driven by ultrashort laser pulse: simulations and the optical pump—X-ray probe experiment
- 247 Downloads
Spatial structures of ablative mass flow produced by femtosecond laser pulses are studied. In experiments with a gold film, the Ti:sapp laser pulse having a focal size of 100 microns on a target was used, while a soft X-ray probe pulse was utilized for diagnostics. The experimental data are compared with simulated mass flows obtained by two-temperature hydrodynamics and molecular dynamics methods. Simulation shows evolution of a thin surface layer pressurized after electron–ion thermalization, which leads to melting, cavitation and formation of spallation liquid layer. The calculated asymptotic surface velocity of this layer as a function of fluence is in reasonably good agreement with experimental data.
KeywordsPump Pulse Ultrashort Laser Pulse Ablation Threshold Nucleation Layer Fresnel Formula
The research (NAI, VVZh, VAKh, DKI, YVP, KPM, AYF, TAP) has been performed under financial support from Russian Science Foundation (RSCF) (Project No. 14-19-01599). This work (except NAI, VVZh, VAKh, DKI, YVP, KPM) was partly supported by Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B), No. 25289244 (2013), from MEXT and bilateral program: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPA) and Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) under the JSPS-RAS Joint Research Program (RFBR Grant 14-02-92107).
- 1.9th International Conference on Photo-Excited Processes and Applications, Program & Technical Digest, September 29-October 3, (2014), Matsue Japan. Conference Chairs: Koji Sugioka, Yasuyuki Tsuboi. icpepa9.comGoogle Scholar
- 18.N.A. Inogamov, Y.V. Petrov, V.V. Zhakhovsky et al., in International Symposium High Power Laser Ablation 2012. AIP Conference Proceedings vol 1464, (2012), pp. 593–608. doi: 10.1063/1.4739912
- 21.N.A. Inogamov, V.V. Zhakhovsky, V.A. Khokhlov, Zhurnal Exp. Theor. Fiziki 147(1), 20–56 (2015). (In Russian, will be translated into English soon)Google Scholar
- 25.T. Antoun, L. Seaman, D.R. Curran, G.I. Kanel, S.V. Razorenov, A.V. Utkin, Spall Fracture (Springer, New York, 2003)Google Scholar
- 28.N.A. Inogamov, V.V. Zhakhovskii, S.I. Ashitkov et al., Appl. Surf. Sci. 255(24), 9712–9716 (2009). arXiv:0812.2965 (physics.optics)