Cavity-enhanced photoacoustic detection using acoustic and fiber-optic resonators
- 485 Downloads
A wineglass has been used as an acoustic resonator to enhance the photoacoustic signal generated by laser excitation of absorbing dyes in solution. The amplitude of the acoustic signal was recorded using a fiber-optic transducer based on a Fabry–Pérot cavity attached to the rim of the wineglass. The optical and acoustic properties of the setup were characterized, and it was used to quantify the concentration of phosphomolybdenum blue and methyl red solutions. Detection limits of 1.2 ppm and 8 μM were obtained, respectively.
KeywordsFiber Bragg Grating Photoacoustic Signal Acoustic Resonator Phosphomolybdenum Acoustic Cavity
We thank Ian Bergeron for technical assistance with the experiments. Financial support from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada is gratefully acknowledged. We especially thank Xijia Gu (Ryerson University) and his group for the fabrication of the fiber Fabry–Pérot cavity and Gianluca Gagliardi for many discussions.
- 1.D.V. Bageshwar, A.S. Pawar, V.V. Khanvilkar, V.J. Kadam, Photoacoustic spectroscopy and its applications—a tutorial review. Eurasian J. Anal. Chem. 5(2), 187–203 (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.P. Liberatore, Cintra 10e-Enhanced Sensitivity from 600–1,200 nm, Analysis of Phosphorous to Sub-ppb Levels. GBC Scientific Application Notes (2009). http://www.gbcscientific.com/appnotes/uv_app_note_010.pdf
- 23.J.A. Barnes, G. Gagliardi, H.-P. Loock, The photonic guitar pick-up: fiber strain sensors find applications in music recording. IEEE Photonics Soc. News 27(6), 19–23 (2013)Google Scholar
- 29.G.R. Bartlett, Phosphorus assay in column chromatography. J. Biol. Chem. 234(3), 466–468 (1959)Google Scholar
- 34.B.E.A. Saleh, M.C. Teich, Fundamentals of Photonics, 2nd edn (Wiley, Hoboken, 2007)Google Scholar
- 35.M. Alonso, E.J. Finn, Fundamental University Physics, vol. I Mechanics (Addison-Wesley, Reading, 1967), p. 435Google Scholar
- 38.S. Punj, G.H. John, Purification and identification of an FMN-dependent NAD(P)H azoreductase from Enterococcus faecalis. Curr. Issues Mol. Biol. 11(2), 59–65 (2009)Google Scholar
- 40.D. Bicanic et al., Photoacoustic detection of orthophosphate in aqueous solution. Water Air Soil Pollut. 45(1), 115–120 (1989)Google Scholar