Quartz-enhanced photoacoustic spectroscopy-based sensor system for sulfur dioxide detection using a CW DFB-QCL
Sulfur dioxide (SO2) trace gas detection based on quartz-enhanced photoacoustic spectroscopy (QEPAS) using a continuous wave, distributed feedback quantum cascade laser operating at 7.24 μm was performed. Influence of water vapor addition on monitored QEPAS SO2 signal was also investigated. A normalized noise equivalent absorption coefficient of NNEA (1σ) = 1.21 × 10−8 cm−1 W Hz−1/2 was obtained for the ν 3 SO2 line centered at 1,380.93 cm−1 when the gas sample was moisturized with 2.3 % H2O. This corresponds to a minimum detection limit (1σ) of 63 parts per billion by volume for a 1 s lock-in time constant.
KeywordsMinimum Detection Limit Quartz Tuning Fork Wavelength Modulation Spectroscopy QEPAS Signal QEPAS Sensor
JPW, HM and MB acknowledge financial support provided by the Austrian research funding association under the scope of the COMET program within the research network “Process Analytical Chemistry” (contract # 825340) and the Carinthian Tech Research RL, FKT acknowledge financial support provided by NSF ERC MIRTHE and NSF-ANR NexCILAS.
- 2.R. Lewicki, M. Jahjah, Y. Ma, P. Stefinski, J. Tarka, M. Razeghi, F. K. Tittel, Chap. 23 in The Wonder of Nanotechnology: Quantum Optoelectronic devices and applications. SPIE Press, pp. 597–632 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.S. Solga, T. Schwartz, M. Mudalel, L. Spacek, R. Lewicki, F. K. Tittel, C. Loccioni, T. Risby, J. Breath Res. 7(3), 037101 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.F. K. Tittel, R. Lewicki, Ch. 15, (Woodhead Publishing Ltd., 2013), pp. 579–629Google Scholar
- 13.T.L. Cottrell, J.C. McCoubrey, Molecular Energy Transfer in Gases (Butterworths, London, 1961)Google Scholar
- 14.Pollution Prevention and Abatement Handbook (The World Bank Group, Washington DC, 1998)Google Scholar
- 15.L.S. Rothman, I.E. Gordon, Y. Babikov, A. Barbe, D. Chris Benner, P.F. Bernath, M. Birk, L. Bizzocchi, V. Boudon, L.R. Brown, A. Campargue, K. Chance, E.A. Cohen, L.H. Coudert, V.M. Devi, B.J. Drouin, A. Fayt, J.-M. Flaud, R.R. Gamache, J.J. Harrison, J.-M. Hartmann, C. Hill, J.T. Hodges, D. Jacquemart, A. Jolly, J. Lamouroux, R.J. Le Roy, G. Li, D.A. Long, O.M. Lyulin, C.J. Mackie, S.T. Massie, S. Mikhailenko, H.S.P. Müller, O.V. Naumenko, A.V. Nikitin, J. Orphal, V. Perevalov, A. Perrin, E.R. Polovtseva, C. Richard, M.A.H. Smith, E. Starikova, K. Sung, S. Tashkun, J. Tennyson, G.C. Toon, Vl.G Tyuterev, G. Wagner, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transf. 130, 4–50 (2013)CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar