Modeling of Sommerfeld surface waves propagating on a single wire of laser plasma filaments
- 270 Downloads
We investigated the possibility of Sommerfeld surface waves to propagate along a conducting plasma channel produced by the filamentation of ultrafast laser pulses in air. Using the approximation of a homogenous cylindrical wire of laser plasma filaments, the phase velocity and the propagation loss of different wire configurations are calculated. The phase velocity of the propagating wave proved to be close to the speed of laser pulses, which makes attaching to such instantaneous plasma channel feasible over distances in the order of the filament length. Wire diameter, electron density and operating frequency are appearing to influence the attaching distances and propagation loss. The attenuation of the propagating wave along the plasma wire appears to be lower than that of free space over some distances in the order of the filamentation length, which opens exciting perspectives for short distance point to point wireless transmission of pulsed-modulated microwaves.
This project was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant Nos. 60978014, 11074027 and 61178022. Funds from Science and Technology, Department of Jilin Province, Grant No. 20111812, basic fund No. 9140c150302110c1501 and the project-sponsored by SRF for ROCS, SEM.
- 6.E. G. Elmore, Surface wave transmission system over a single conductor having e-fields terminating along the conductor, U.S. 7,567,154 B2, 2009Google Scholar
- 7.E. G. Elmore, Method and apparatus for launching a surface wave onto a single conductor transmission line using a slotted flared cone, U.S. 7,009,471 B2, 2006Google Scholar
- 13.T. Anderson, Plasma antenna (Artech house, London, 2011)Google Scholar
- 27.A.L. Peratt, Physics of the plasma universe (Springer, New York, 1991)Google Scholar
- 28.V. L. Ginzburg, Propagation of electromagnetic waves in plasma (Gordon and Breach, 1997)Google Scholar
- 31.A. E. Dormidonov, V. V. Valuev, V. L. Dmitriev, S. A. Shlenov, V. P. Kandidov, Proc. SPIE 6733, 67332S-1(2007)Google Scholar
- 32.F. Mitschke, Fiber optics physics and technology (Springer, Berlin, 2009)Google Scholar
- 35.J.A. Stratton, Electromagnetic theory (IEEE Press, New York, 2007)Google Scholar
- 40.D.M. Pozar, Microwave engineering, 3rd edn. (Wiley, New York, 2004)Google Scholar
- 41.D. C. Friedman, Technical report ARWSE-TR-09004, U.S. Army Armament Research (2009)Google Scholar