Measurements of CO2 in a multipass cell and in a hollow-core photonic bandgap fiber at 2 μm
- 582 Downloads
Recently, hollow-core photonic bandgap fibers (HC-PBFs) for use in the 2 μm wavelength region have become available. We have employed tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy (TDLAS) to quantify CO2 in nitrogen, injected into a HC-PBF. Our spectrometer contains both an HC-PBF-based absorption cell and an astigmatic Herriott multipass gas cell. The Herriott cell was used for comparison with the HC-PBF cell. The HC-PBF cell’s sensitivity and limit of detection were calculated to be 3.5×10−4 cm−1⋅Hz−1/2 and 59 ppm⋅m, respectively. To substantiate the spectrometer performance, a measurement was done in the Herriott cell probing a reference gas mixture with nominal 400 μmol/mol CO2 in N2. The spectrometric results were in good agreement with the reference value. The relative standard uncertainty of the spectrometric result was found to be at the ±2 % level.
KeywordsAmount Fraction Relative Standard Uncertainty Tunable Diode Laser Absorption Spectroscopy Line Area Multipass Cell
This work was partly performed within a EURAMET joint research project and received funding from the European Union Framework Programme, ERA-NET Plus, under the iMERA-Plus Project—Grant Agreement No. 217257 and the European Metrology Research Programme which is jointly funded by the EMRP participating countries within EURAMET and the European Union. J.A.N. acknowledges the continued support from the Braunschweig International Graduate School of Metrology and the Institute of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry at TU-Braunschweig.
- 2.J.A. Nwaboh, T. Desbois, D. Romanini, D. Schiel, O. Werhahn, Int. J. Spectros. (2011). doi: 10.1155/2011/568913
- 9.V. Ebert, S. Wagner, K. Wunderle, in 2nd International Workshop on Stable Isotope Ratio Infrared Spectrometry, Florence, Italy (2007) Google Scholar
- 16.V. Ebert, J. Wolfrum, in Optical Measurements-Techniques and Applications (Springer, Berlin, 1994), pp. 273–312 Google Scholar
- 24.L.S. Rothman, I.E. Gordon, A. Barbe, D. Chris Benner, P.F. Bernath, M. Birk, V. Boudon, L.R. Brown, A. Campargue, J.-P. Champion, K. Chance, L.H. Coudert, V. Dana, V.M. Devi, S. Fally, J.-M. Flaud, R.R. Gamache, A. Goldman, D. Jacquemart, I. Kleiner, N. Lacome, W.J. Lafferty, J.-Y. Mandin, S.T. Massie, S.N. Mikhailenko, C.E. Miller, N. Moazzen-Ahmadi, O.V. Naumenko, A.V. Nikitin, J. Orphal, V.I. Perevalov, A. Perrin, A. Predoi-Cross, C.P. Rinsland, M. Rotger, M. Šimečková, M.A.H. Smith, K. Sung, S.A. Tashkun, J. Tennyson, R.A. Toth, A.C. Vandaele, J. Vander Auwera, J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transf. 110, 533 (2009). HITRAN2008, http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/HITRAN/ ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.NKT photonics (2012). Available at: http://www.nktphotonics.com/
- 28.O. Werhahn, J.C. Petersen (eds.), TILSAM technical protocol V1_2010-09-29 (2010). http://www.euramet.org/fileadmin/docs/projects/934_METCHEM_Interim_Report.pdf