Short wavelength red-emitting AlGaInP-VECSEL exceeds 1.2 W continuous-wave output power
- 221 Downloads
We present a vertical external cavity surface-emitting laser system based on a multi-quantum-well structure with 20 compressively strained GaInP quantum wells for an operation wavelength of around 665 nm with a monolithic integrated distributed Bragg reflector. With the help of an intra-cavity diamond heatspreader the laser operates in continuous-wave mode. Operation with a TEM00 Gaussian beam profile and a beam propagation factor of M 2≤1.05 is shown as well as a high resolution spectrum of the laser line, which shows the etalon effect of the diamond. The laser can be operated at a maximum output power exceeding 1.2 W with a slope efficiency of η diff=18%. At maximum output power the wavelength of the laser resonance is at 670 nm, which is shortest reported until now at powers exceeding 1 W. By rotating a birefringent filter in an extended folded cavity arrangement a wavelength tuning of 21 nm was attained.
KeywordsOutput Power Gaussian Beam Maximum Output Power Output Coupler Wavelength Tuning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.S.-S. Beyertt, T. Kübler, U. Brauch, A. Giesen, E. Gerster, F. Rinaldi, P. Unger, OSA Trends Opt. Photonics 98, 294 (2005) Google Scholar
- 12.M.I. Müller, N. Linder, C. Karnutsch, W. Schmid, K.P. Streubel, J. Luft, S.-S. Beyertt, A. Giesen, G.H. Döhler, Proc. SPIE 4649, 465 (2002) Google Scholar
- 13.M.I. Müller, C. Karnutsch, J. Luft, W. Schmid, K. Streubel, N. Linder, S.-S. Beyertt, U. Brauch, A. Giesen, G.H. Döhler, in 29th International Symposium on Compound Semiconductors, vol. 174, ed. by M. Ilegems, G. Weimann, J. Wagner (IOP, Lausanne, 2003), p. 427 Google Scholar
- 15.L.G. Morton, J.E. Hastie, M.D. Dawson, A.B. Krysa, J.S. Roberts, in Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, 2006 and 2006 Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference (CLEO/QELS) (2006), p. 1 Google Scholar
- 19.Element Six Ltd., http://www.e6cvd.com
- 23.HighFinesse GmbH, http://www.highfinesse.com
- 25.A.E. Siegman, in Solid State Lasers: New Developments and Applications, ed. by M. Inguscio, R. Wallenstein (Plenum, New York, 1993) Google Scholar