Ultra-narrow-linewidth continuous-wave THz sources based on multiplier chains
- 87 Downloads
We demonstrate two different sources at 1.3 THz based on multiplier chains (72nd harmonic generation), which exhibit linewidths at the level of 2×10−12 in relative units. The multiplication processes are shown not to contribute significantly to this linewidth. The phase noise of one of the sources and the fractional power in the carrier (76%) were determined. The application of these sources as references for quantum cascade THz lasers and for spectroscopy of ultracold molecules is suggested. Thus, rotational spectroscopy with few Hz resolution at 1.3 THz is possible with the present easy-to-use sources. An approach for reducing the linewidth by a factor on the order of 103 to the 1×10−15 level using optical technology is proposed.
PACS33.20.Bx 52.70.Gw 07.57.Hm 07.57.Pt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F.C. De Lucia, Spectroscopy in the terahertz spectral region, in Sensing with Terahertz Radiation, ed. by D. Mittleman (Springer, Berlin, 2003), pp. 39–115 Google Scholar
- 7.K. Kawase, J. Shikata, H. Ito, Narrow-linewidth tunable terahertz-wave sources using nonlinear optics, in Solid-State Mid-Infrared Laser Sources. Topics in Applied Physics, vol. 89 (2003), pp. 397–423 Google Scholar
- 13.M.C. Wiedner, G. Wieching, F. Bielau, K. Rettenbacher, N.H. Volgenau, M. Emprechtinger, U.U. Graf, C.E. Honingh, K. Jacobs, B. Vowinkel, K.M. Menten, L.-Å. Nyman, R. Güsten, S. Philipp, D. Rabanus, J. Stutzki, F. Wyrowski, First observations with CONDOR, a 1.5 THz heterodyne receiver. Astron. Astrophys. 454, L33–L36 (2006) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- 14.J. Hesler, D. Porterfield, W. Bishop, T. Crowe, A. Baryshev, R. Hesper, J. Baselmans, Development and characterization of an easy-to-use THz source, in Proc. 16th International Symposium on Space Terahertz Technology, Goteborg, Sweden, 3 May 2005 Google Scholar
- 19.G. Santarelli et al., The PHARAO time and frequency performance verification system, in Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE International Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control Joint 50th Anniversary Conference (IEEE, 2004), pp. 785–789 Google Scholar
- 20.J. de Vicente, private communication, 2007 Google Scholar