Photoconductivity in LiNbO3 crystals codoped with MgO and Cr2O3
- 73 Downloads
The photoconductivity of LiNbO3 crystals codoped with Cr2O3 and different concentrations of MgO from 0 up to 6 mol % is reported. The spectral excitation of photocurrent presents an intense band corresponding to the Cr3+ induced blue absorption edge, but illuminating at the 4 A 2→4 T 1 ionic transition band a weak photocurrent is also excited. The photoconductivity is interpreted in terms of Cr3+ ionization and the formation of NbNb 4+ small polarons as charge carriers. Photoconductivity below about 140 K is suppressed. The analysis of the photocurrent temperature dependence results in a 0.14±0.02 eV binding energy of the polaron at low temperature. Photoconductivity induced by excitation in the intraionic Cr3+ can be explained by a tunnelling process between the excited Cr3+ and the polaron state at the next-nearest-neighbour NbNb 5+.
KeywordsAbsorption Edge Small Polaron Lithium Niobate Crystal Codoped Sample Optical Damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.G. Zhong, J. Jian, Z.K. Wu, Proc. 11th Int. Quantum Electron. Conf. 1980, IEEE Cat. No. 80 CH1561-0, p.631Google Scholar
- 5.L. Arizmendi, F. Agulló-López, MRS Bull. 19, 32 (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.T.P.J. Han, F. Jaque, Opt. Mater. (2006), DOI: 10.1016/j.optmat.2006.04.002Google Scholar
- 12.K. Nassau, In: Ferroelectricity, ed. by E.F. Weller (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1967), p. 259Google Scholar
- 17.B. Faust, H. Müller, O.F. Schirmer, Ferroelectrics 153, 297 (1995)Google Scholar