Negative-index metamaterials: second-harmonic generation, Manley–Rowe relations and parametric amplification
- 519 Downloads
Second harmonic generation and optical parametric amplification in negative-index metamaterials (NIMs) are studied. The opposite directions of the wave vector and the Poynting vector in NIMs results in a “backward” phase-matching condition, causing significant changes in the Manley–Rowe relations and spatial distributions of the coupled field intensities. It is shown that absorption in NIMs can be compensated by backward optical parametric amplification. The possibility of distributed-feedback parametric oscillation with no cavity has been demonstrated. The feasibility of the generation of entangled pairs of left- and right-handed counter-propagating photons is discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.V.G. Veselago, Sov. Phys. Solid State 8, 2854 (1967)Google Scholar
- 17.I.V. Shadrivov, A.A. Zharov, Y.S. Kivshar, arXiv: physics/0506092 (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.K.I. Volyak, A.S. Gorshkov, Radiotekhnika Elektronika (Radiotechnics Electronics) 18, 2075 (1973)Google Scholar
- 20.A. Yariv, Quantum Electronics, 2nd edn. (Wiley, New York, 1975)Google Scholar
- 21.J.M. Manley, H.E. Rowe, Proc. IRE 47, 2115 (1959)Google Scholar