Paramagnetic Faraday rotation with spin-polarized ytterbium atoms
- First Online:
- 131 Downloads
We report the observation of paramagnetic Faraday rotation of spin-polarized ytterbium (Yb) atoms. As the atomic samples, we used an atomic beam, released atoms from a magneto-optical trap (MOT), and trapped atoms in a far-off-resonant trap (FORT). Since Yb is diamagnetic and includes a spin-1/2 isotope, it is an ideal sample for spin physics, such as quantum non-demolition measurement of spin (spin QND), for example. From the results of the rotation angle, we confirmed that the atoms were almost perfectly polarized.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.H. Terashima, M. Ueda, quant-ph/0507020Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Takahashi, M. Fujimoto, T. Yabuzaki, A.D. Singh, M.K. Samal, B.P. Das, in Proceedings of CP Violation and its Origins, ed. by K. Hagiwara (KEK Reports, Tsukuba 1997)Google Scholar
- 17.H.J. Metcalf, P. van der Straten, Laser Cooling and Trapping (Springer, Tokyo, 1999)Google Scholar
- 18.D. Suter, The Physics of Laser-Atom Interactions (University Press, Cambridge, 1997)Google Scholar
- 19.J.J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics (Addison-Wesley, Tokyo, 1995)Google Scholar