Development of a tunable diode laser sensor for measurements of gas turbine exhaust temperature
- 597 Downloads
A tunable diode laser (TDL) temperature sensor is designed, constructed, tested, and demonstrated in the exhaust of an industrial gas turbine. Temperature is determined from the ratio of the measured absorbance of two water vapor overtone transitions in the near infrared where telecommunication diode lasers are available. Design rules are developed to select the optimal pair of transitions for direct absorption measurements using spectral simulations by systematically examining the absorption strength, spectral isolation, and temperature sensitivity to maximize temperature accuracy in the core flow and minimize sensitivity to water vapor in the cold boundary layer. The contribution to temperature uncertainty from the spectroscopic database is evaluated and precise line-strength data are measured for the selected transitions. Gas-temperature measurements in a heated cell are used to verify the sensor accuracy (over the temperature range of 350 to 1000 K, ΔT∼2 K for the optimal line pair and ΔT∼5 K for an alternative line pair). Field measurements of exhaust-gas temperature in an industrial gas turbine demonstrate the practical utility of TDL sensing in harsh industrial environments.
KeywordsLine Strength Line Pair Tunable Diode Laser Cold Boundary Layer Harsh Industrial Environment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mihalcea RM, Baer DS, Hanson RK (1998) Proc. Combust. Inst. 27:95Google Scholar
- 6.M.G. Allen, E.R. Furlong, R.K. Hanson, in Applied Combustion Diagnostics, ed. by K. Kohse-Hoeinghaus, J.B. Jeffries (Taylor and Francis, New York 2002), p. 479Google Scholar
- 8.Furlong ER, Baer DS, Hanson RK (1996) Proc. Combust. Inst. 26:2851Google Scholar
- 10.K.M. Hinckley, J.B. Jeffries, R.K. Hanson, in 42nd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibition, Reno, NV, January 2004, paper AIAA-2004-0713Google Scholar
- 18.http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/hitran/Google Scholar
- 20.X. Liu, X. Zhou, J.B. Jeffries, R.K. Hanson, in 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibition, Reno, NV, January 2005, paper AIAA-2005-0829Google Scholar
- 26.K.M. Hinckley, M.A. Woodmansee, W. Chen, J. Lu, J. Gu, X. Liu, J.B. Jeffries, in 4th Joint Meeting of the US Sections of the Combustion Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 2005, p. 808Google Scholar