Characterization of second and third order optical nonlinearities of ZnO sputtered films
- First Online:
- 278 Downloads
We measured the second and third order optical nonlinearity of zinc oxide, grown on glass substrates by the ion beam sputtering technique. Second and third harmonic generation measurements were performed by means of the rotational Maker fringes technique for different polarization configurations, thus allowing the determination of all non-zero components of the second order susceptibility at three different fundamental beam wavelengths, i.e., 1064 nm, 1542 nm and 1907 nm. The dispersion of the nonlinear optical coefficients has been evaluated, while the nonlinear optical coefficients were found to range between 0.9 pm/V and 0.16 pm/V for d33, 0.53 pm/V and 0.08 pm/V for |d15|, 0.31 and 0.08 pm/V for |d31|, with increasing wavelength. Finally, one third order susceptibility, χijkl(3), has been determined by third harmonic generation measurements at a fundamental wavelength λ=1907 nm and a value for χ3333(3) of 185×10-20 m2/V2 has been found.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. Blachnik, J. Chu, R.R. Galazka, J. Geurts, J. Gutowski, B. Hönerlage, D. Hofmann, J. Kossut, R. Lévy, P. Michler, U. Neukirch, T. Story, D. Strauch, A. Waag Zinc oxide (ZnO) In: Landolt–Börnstein-Group III Condensed Matter, Semiconductors: II–VI and I–VII Compounds; Semi-magnetic Compounds, 41B, 52–53, edited by U. Rössler (Springer-Verlag GmbH, 1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Minami T (2000) MRS Bull. 25:38Google Scholar
- 18.A. Yariv, Optical Electronics 4th ed (Saunders College Publishing, USA, 1991)Google Scholar
- 19.P. Günter, Nonlinear Optical Effects and Materials (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2000)Google Scholar
- 20.Dmitriev VG, Gurzadyan GG, Nikogosyan DN (1997) Handbook of nonlinear optical crystals. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 28.Miller RC (1964) Appl. Phys. Lett 5:17Google Scholar
- 31.R.W. Boyd,Nonlinear Optics (Academic Press. Inc., Boston, 1992)Google Scholar
- 32.Bosshard C, Spreiter R, Zgonik M, Günter P (1996) Nonlinear Opt 15:425Google Scholar