Harmonic generation in bismuth triborate (BiB3O6)
- 190 Downloads
We report a study of second- and third-harmonic generation in BiB3O6 (BiBO). The effective nonlinearity, phase-matching angle, acceptance bandwidth, and walk-off are calculated and analyzed within the principal planes of the optical indicatrix. In the experiment, the phase-matched harmonic generation is investigated within the xz and yz planes. Also, the temperature dependence of the noncritical phase matching for laser radiation propagating along the z axis is measured for second-harmonic generation (SHG) at crystal temperatures of 25–265^∘C. The corresponding wavelengths of the laser radiation are in the range of 1.16 to 1.34μm. In addition, SHG of 1342-nm radiation of a q-switched Nd:YVO4 laser system is investigated for noncritical and critical phase matching. The achieved conversion efficiencies are 59% and 20%, respectively. Besides SHG, third-harmonic generation (THG) of 1064-nm, ns laser pulses is investigated. The measured conversion efficiency is as high as 34%. For THG the properties of BiBO are compared with those of BBO and LBO.
PACS42.65.−k 42.65.Ky 42.70.Mp
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Levin, C. McDaniel, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 45, 355 (1962)Google Scholar
- 4.V. Wesemann, M. Peltz, T. Bauer, J. L’huillier, G. Bitz, R. Wallenstein, A. Borsutzky, T. Salva, S. Verny, D. Rytz, Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, (Optical Society of America, Washington DC, 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.C. Du, Z. Wang, J. Liu, B. Xu, B. Teng, K. Fu, J. Wang, Y. Liu, Z. Shao, Appl. Phys. B 73, 215 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.V. Wesemann, to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 9.V. Dmitriev, G. Gurzadyan, D. Nikogosyan, Handbook of Nonlinear Optical Crystals (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1999)Google Scholar