Characterization of focal field formed by a large numerical aperture paraboloidal mirror and generation of ultra-high intensity (1022 W/cm2)
- 222 Downloads
We describe a method to measure the aberrations of a high numerical aperture off-axis paraboloid and correct for the aberrations using adaptive optics. It is then shown that the characterized aberrations can be used to accurately calculate the electromagnetic field at the focus using the Stratton–Chu vector diffraction theory. Using this methodology, an intensity of 7×1021 W/cm2 was demonstrated by focusing a 45-TW laser beam with an f/0.6, 90∘ off-axis paraboloid after correcting the aberrations of the paraboloid and the low-energy reference beam. The intensity can be further increased to 1×1022 W/cm2 by including in the correction algorithm the wavefront difference between the reference beam and the high-energy beam.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. Albert, H. Wang, D. Liu, Z. Chang, G. Mourou, Opt. Lett. 25, 1125 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.P. Varga, P. Török, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 17, 2081 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.S.-W. Bahk, V. Yanovsky, G. Mourou, in Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), 2005, paper JThE84Google Scholar
- 7.J.D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, 2nd edn. (Wiley, New York, 1975), p. 242Google Scholar
- 10.B. Richards, E. Wolf, Proc. R. Soc. (Lond.) A 253, 358 (1959)Google Scholar
- 11.W.H. Carter, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 62, 1195 (1972)Google Scholar
- 12.R.K. Luneberg, Mathematical Theory of Optics (Brown University, RI), mimeographed lecture notesGoogle Scholar
- 14.D.A. Tichenor, J.W. Goodman, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 62, 293 (1972)Google Scholar
- 15.J.W. Goodman, Introduction to Fourier Optics, 2nd edn. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1996), Sect. 3.10Google Scholar
- 16.V. Yanovsky, S.-W. Bahk, C. Felix, N. Saleh, P. Rousseau, V. Chvykov, G. Mourou, in Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO). OSA Trends in Optics and Photonics Series, vol. 73 (Optical Society of America, Washington, DC, 2002), paper CMK4Google Scholar
- 18.Z. Sacks, G. Mourou, R. Danielius, Opt. Lett. 26, 462 (2001)Google Scholar