Comparison of discharge lamp and laser pumped cesium magnetometers
- 312 Downloads
We have performed a comparison of laser (LsOPM) and lamp (LpOPM) pumped cesium vapor magnetometers. Although the LsOPM operated 50% above its shot-noise limit we found an intrinsic sensitivity of 15 fT/√Hz and 25 fT/√Hz for the LsOPM and the LpOPM, respectively. Two modes of operation, viz. the phase-stabilized and the self-oscillating modes, were investigated and found to yield a similar performance. We have compared the performance of the LsOPM and the LpOPM directly by simultaneous measurements of field fluctuations of a 2-μT magnetic field inside a multilayer magnetic shield and have used one of the magnetometers for an active field stabilization. In the stabilized mode we found a gradient instability of 25 fT within an integration time of 100 s, which represents an upper limit of the long-term stability of the magnetometers. Our research is motivated by the need for an improved control of magnetic fields and gradients in a planned neutron electric dipole experiment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Green, P.G. Harris, P. Iaydjiev, D.J.R. May, J.M. Pendlebury, K.F. Smith, M. van der Grinten, P. Geltenbort, S. Ivanov, Nuvl. Instr. and Meth. A 404, 381 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.I.S. Altarev, Y.V. Borisov, N.V. Borovikova, A.I. Egorov, S.N. Ivanov, E.A. Kolomensky, M.S. Lasakov, V.M. Lobashev, V.A. Nazarenko, A.N. Pirozhkov, A.P. Serebrov, Y.V. Sobolev, E.V. Shulgina, Phys. At. Nuclei 59, 1152 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Borisov, W. Heil, M. Leduc, V. Lobashev, E. Otten, Y. Sobolev, Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 440, 48 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.S. Groeger, J.-L. Schenker, R. Wynands, A. Weis, Phys. Rev. A, submitted [arXiv:physics/0406105 v2 19 August 2004]Google Scholar
- 7.A.P. Kazantsev, V.S. Smirnow, A.M. Tumaikin, I.A. Yagofarov, Opt. Spectrosc. 57, 189 (1984)Google Scholar
- 12.E.B. Aleksandrov, M.V. Balabas, A.K. Vershovskii, A.E. Ivanov, N.N. Yakobson, V.L. Velichanskii, N.V. Senkov, Opt. Spectrosc. 78, 325 (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.J.A. Barnes, A.R. Chi, L.S. Cutler, D.J. Healey, D.B. Leeson, T.E. McGunigal, J.A. Mullen, Jr., W.L. Smith, R.L. Sydnor, R.F.C. Vessot, G.M.R. Winkler, IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas. 20, 105 (1971)Google Scholar
- 15.E.B. Alexandrov, A.S. Pazgalev, J.L. Rasson, Opt. Spectrosc. 82, 14 (1997)Google Scholar