Continuous-wave laser action of Yb3+-doped lanthanum scandium borate
- First Online:
- 117 Downloads
Lanthanum scandium borate (LSB) has been proved to be an interesting laser matrix when doped with Nd3+ and Er3+ ions. In this paper, we demonstrate that it is also a very efficient laser material when doped with Yb3+ ions. The main spectroscopic characteristics of the system are presented, showing very broad absorption and emission bands, comparable to those found in Yb-doped GdCOB and YCOB crystals. From spectroscopic measurements the relevant laser parameters have been obtained, and a tunability of about 50 nm could be deduced. Room-temperature, continuous-wave laser action of Yb-doped LSB is demonstrated at a wavelength of 1045 nm with a slope efficiency as high as 64%.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.A. Kaminskii: Laser Crystals (Springer, Berlin 1998)Google Scholar
- 5.J.P. Meyn, T. Jensen, G. Huber: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-30, 913 (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.A. Diening, E. Heumann, G. Huber, O. Kuzmin: ‘High Power Diode-pumped Yb,Er:LSB Laser at 1.65 μm’. In: Summ. CLEO’98 (Tech. Dig. Ser. 6) (Optical Society of America, Washington, DC 1998) pp. 299–300Google Scholar
- 7.E. Heumann, K. Sebald, S. Kück, G. Huber: ‘Spectroscopy and First Laser Proof of Praseodymium Lanthanum Scandium Borate’. In: Advanced Solid State Lasers, ed. by M.M. Fejer, H. Injeyan, U. Keller (OSA TOPS Proc. XXVI) (Optical Society of America, Washington, DC 1999) pp. 621–624Google Scholar
- 8.J.P. Meyn, B. Beier, R. Knappe, K.J. Boller, G. Huber, R. Wallestein: ‘Efficient and Single Frequency Nd:LaSc3(BO3)4 Microchip Laser’. In: Summ. CLEO’94, Conf. Edn. (Tech. Dig. Ser. 8) (Optical Society of America, Washington, DC 1994) pp. 157–158Google Scholar
- 16.L.D. DeLoach, S.A. Payne, L.L. Chase, L.K. Smith, W.L. Kway, W.F. Krupke: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-29, 1179 (1993)Google Scholar