Hyperthermic efficacy of suitably functionalized MWCNT decorated with MnFe2O4 nanocomposite
- 23 Downloads
We investigate the efficacy of polyethylene glycol (PEG) and amine-functionalized MWCNT decorated with MnFe2O4 nanocomposites as heating material for magnetic hyperthermia applications. Samples are prepared by a standard solvothermal method. Phase formation of MnFe2O4 has been confirmed by X-ray diffractogram and attachment of nanoparticles on the surface of functionalized MWCNT is evident from transmission electron microscopic image of nanocomposite. Fourier transform infrared spectrum of PEG-functionalized MWCNT and amine-functionalized MWCNT confirmed the presence of PEG and amine group, respectively. As desirable for stability in magnetic hyperthermia, vibration sample magnetometer study suggests superparamagnetic behaviour of all the samples at temperatures 300 K, 200 K and 100 K except at 5 K, which is below blocking temperature as confirmed by ZFC–FC curves. Estimated Curie temperature (TC) and room temperature effective anisotropy is found to increase in nanocomposites, highest for amine-functionalized MWCNT/MnFe2O4 nanocomposite. A clear correlation between effective anisotropy and heat generation capability (SAR/ILP) has been observed: higher the anisotropy, higher is the heat generation capability (SAR/ILP).
The authors acknowledge UGC-DAE-CSR Mumbai for supporting a collaborative project (no. UDCSR/MUM/CD/CSR-M-239-2017-1005) during 2017–2019. The authors would like to thank SAIF NEHU for granting access to their availed facilities.
- 13.D. Yang, F. Yang, J. Hu, J. Long, C. Wang, D. Fu, Q. Nib, Chem. Commun. 0, 4447–4449 (2009)Google Scholar
- 24.D. Varshney, K. Verma, A. Kumar, Chem. Phys. 131, 413–419 (2011)Google Scholar
- 35.A. Goldman, Modern Ferrite Technology, 2nd edn. (Springer, Pittsburgh, 2006), p. 58Google Scholar
- 36.B.D. Cullity, C.D. Graham, Introduction to Magnetic Materials, 2nd edn. (Wiley, New York, 2009), p. 133Google Scholar
- 41.P.B. Shete, R.M. Patil, N.D. Thorat, A. Prasad, R.S. Ningthoujam, S.J. Ghosh, S.H. Pawar, J. Phys. Chem. C 288, 149–157 (2014)Google Scholar