One-dimensional SbSI crystals from Sb, S, and I mixtures in ethylene glycol for solar energy harvesting
- 72 Downloads
Crystalline SbSI nanorods were synthesized using mixed sonication-heating route using a high boiling solvent (ethylene glycol—EG). The use of a high boiling solvent reveals that the temperature is responsible for self-assembly of amorphous SbSI nuclei to 1D crystal. X-ray diffraction analysis of this material showed that 1D SbSI was single crystalline and grows along c-direction of its orthorhombic structure. The elemental composition of SbSI nanorods was estimated by EDXS and was found to be with 33.92% Sb, 32.74% S, and 33.34% I. The optical bandgap of the material was 1.88 eV. Application of SbSI as a photon-absorbing material in a carbon-based solar cell has been assessed. Its photo-conversion efficiency was of 0.035% under simulated solar radiation, with a short-circuit current density of 0.4 mA/cm2 and open-circuit voltage of 290 mV.
The authors acknowledge Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) (Research Grant ECR/2015/000208) and Department of Science and Technology (DST) for research grant DST/INT/RFBR/P-241.
- 1.NREL Efficiency Chart (2018). http://www.nrel.gov/ncpv/images/efficiency_chart.jpg. Accessed 19 Sep 2018
- 3.H.C. Sansom, G.F.S. Whitehead, M.S. Dyer, M. Zanella, T.D. Manning, M.J. Pitcher, T.J. Whittles, V.R. Dhanak, J. Alaria, J.B. Claridge, M.J. Rosseinsky, AgBiI4 as a lead-free solar absorber with potential application in photovoltaics. Chem. Mater. 29, 1538–1549 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemmater.6b04135 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.E. Fatuzzo, G. Harbeke, W.J. Merz, R. Nitsche, H. Roetschi, W. Ruppel, Ferroelectricity in SbSI. Phys. Rev. 127 (1962) 2036–2037. https://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRev.127.2036
- 9.E.I. Gerzanich, V.A. Lyakhovitskaya, V.M. Fridkin, B.A. Popovkin, in Current topics in materials science, vol. 10, ed. by E. Kaldis (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982), pp. 55–190Google Scholar
- 10.M. Nowak (2010) Photoferroelectric nanowires. https://doi.org/10.5772/39496
- 14.Z. Li, S.A. Kulkarni, P.P. Boix, E. Shi, A. Cao, K. Fu, S.K. Batabyal, J. Zhang, Q. Xiong, L.H. Wong, N. Mathews, S.G. Mhaisalkar, Laminated carbon nanotube networks for metal electrode-free efficient perovskite solar cells. ACS Nano 8, 6797–6804 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1021/nn501096h CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.A.V. Gomonnai, I.M. Voynarovych, A.M. Solomon, Y.M. Azhniuk, A.A. Kikineshi, V.P. Pinzenik, M. Kis-Varga, L. Daroczy, V.V. Lopushansky, X-ray diffraction and Raman scattering in SbSI nanocrystals. Mater. Res. Bull. 38, 1767–1772 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/s0025-5408(03)00181-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar