Structure, microhardness and thermal conducting properties of the high-pressure high-temperature-treated Al–Ti–N materials
- 31 Downloads
The w-AlN → rs-AlN polymorphic transition in Ti–Al–N system with low TiN content (3 mol %) was observed. The experimental data show that this transition is possible under 12 GPa pressure at 1773 K. The formation of rs-AlN phase in the resulting composite materials was confirmed by XRD. The obtained materials have intermediate physical and mechanical properties as compared to the undoped w-AlN and TixAl1−xN solid solution. They are found to have high Vickers hardness (31 GPa at a load of 50 g)—which is twice as hard as w-AlN. The thermal conductivity of the rs-AlN-containing Al–Ti–N materials was measured for the first time using the frequency separation (3ω) method and gave high thermal conductivity coefficients up to 100 W/m × K.
The authors would like to thank Dr. V.P. Filonenko of Institute for High Pressure Physics and Russian Academy of Sciences for HPHT-treated samples. The reported study was funded by RFBR according to the research project no. 18-33-01136.
- 1.J.R. Grandusky, R.V. Randive, T.C. Jordan, L.J. Schowalter, in III-Nitride Ultraviolet Emitters, ed. by M. Kneiss, J. Rass (Springer, Cham, 2016), p. 442Google Scholar
- 7.V.S. Kudyakova, R.A. Shishkin, A.A. Elagin, M.V. Baranov, A.R. Beketov, J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2016.11.051 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.ASTM E384-17: Standard test method for knoop and vickers hardness of materialsGoogle Scholar
- 29.J.-X. Zhang, Z.-R. Huang, D.-L. Jiang, S.H. Tan, Z. Shen, M. Nygren, J. Am. Ceram. Soc. (2002). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.2002.tb00234.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.W. Kim, J.-S. Park, S.-W. Cho, N.-R. Kim, I.-Y. Ko, I.-J. Shon, Properties and rapid consolidation of binderless titanium nitride by pulsed current activated sintering. J. Ceram. Process. Res. 11, 627–630 (2010)Google Scholar
- 35.G.P. Srivastava, The Physics of Phonons (Adam Hilger, Bristol, 1990)Google Scholar
- 36.H.O. Pierson, Handbook of Refractory Carbides and Nitrides: Properties, Characteristics, Processing (Noyes Publications, Westwood, 1996)Google Scholar