Structure, infra-red, dielectric properties and conduction mechanism of Ti and Cu–Ti co-doped bismuth ferrite (BiFeO3): a comparison study
- 126 Downloads
Multiferroic compositions BiFe0.90Ti0.10O3 and BiFe0.885Cu0.015Ti0.1O3 were synthesized by solid-state mixed oxide method. XRD studies confirmed rhombohedral crystal structure for both compositions while a little change in lattice parameters was observed with Cu–Ti co-doping. SEM analysis indicate that with co-doping comparatively smaller grains were evolved in the microstructure. Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) was conducted to study absorption bands of different phases. High temperature A.C. conductivity (σac) analysis revealed the hopping charge conduction mechanism. Impedance spectroscopy (IS) was employed from room temperature to 230 °C in 100 Hz–1 MHz frequency range to analyze dielectric properties. IS data indicated decline in impedance with increase in temperature and frequency which confirms negative temperature coefficient of resistance (NTCR) behavior. Owing to the resistance–temperature characteristics, these compositions are well suited for thermal sensor applications.
Authors would like to acknowledge Department of Physics and Department of Polymer and Process Engineering, UET Lahore for extending the infrastructural facilities.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 9.S. Fedulov, P. Ladyzhinskii, I. Pyatigorskaya, Y.N. Venevtsev, Complete phase diagram of the PbTiO3–BiFeO3 system. Soviet Phys. Solid State 6, 375–378 (1964)Google Scholar
- 37.M.A. Rafiq, M. Waqar, Q.K. Muhammad, M. Waleed, M. Saleem, M.S. Anwar, Conduction mechanism and magnetic behavior of Cu doped barium hexaferrite ceramics. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 29, 5134–5142 (2018)Google Scholar
- 38.O. Raymond, R. Font, N. Suárez-Almodovar, J. Portelles, J. Siqueiros, Frequency-temperature response of ferroelectromagnetic Pb(Fe1∕ 2Nb1∕ 2)O3 ceramics obtained by different precursors. Part I. Structural and thermo-electrical characterization. J. Appl. Phys. 97, 084107 (2005)CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- 41.J.R. Macdonald, E. Barsoukov, Impedance spectroscopy: theory, experiment, and applications. History. 1, 1–13 (2005)Google Scholar
- 46.M.A. Rafiq, M. Rasheed, Q.K. Muhammad, M. Waqar, M. Zubair, Structural and high temperature conduction studies of (Na0.46Bi0.46Ba0.08)(MnxTi1– xO3)–CuO lead-free piezoelectric ceramics. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 28, 15009–15020 (2017)Google Scholar