Temperature-dependent electrical characteristics and carrier transport mechanism of p-Cu2ZnSnS4/n-GaN heterojunctions
This work explores the temperature-dependent electrical characteristics and carrier transport mechanism of Au/p-Cu2ZnSnS4/n-type GaN heterojunction (HJ) diodes with a CZTS interlayer. The electrical characteristics were examined by current–voltage–temperature, turn-on voltage–temperature and series resistance–temperature in the high-temperature range of 300–420 K. It is observed that an exponential decrease in the series resistance (RS) and increase in the ideality factor (n) and barrier height (ϕb) with increase in temperature. The thermal coefficient (Kj) is determined to be − 1.3 mV K−1 at ≥ 300 K. The effective ϕb is determined to be 1.21 eV. This obtained barrier height is consistent with the theoretical one. The characteristic temperature (T0) resulting from the Cheung’s functions [dV/d(lnI) vs. I and H(I) vs. I], is seen that there is good agreement between the T0 values from both Cheung’s functions. The relevant carrier transport mechanisms of Au/p-CZTS/n-type GaN HJ are explained based on the thermally decreased energy band gap of n-type GaN layers, thermally activated deep donors and increased further activated shallow donors.
This study was partially supported by the BK21 Plus funded by the Ministry of Education (21A20131600011).
- 17.D.K. Schroder, Semiconductor Material and Device Characterization (Wiley, New York, 1990)Google Scholar
- 18.E.H. Rhoderick, R.H. Williams, Metal Semiconductor Contacts (Clarendon, Oxford, 1988)Google Scholar
- 25.S.M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices (Wiley, New York, 2007)Google Scholar
- 27.R.B. Northrop, Introduction to Instrumentation and Measurements (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2014)Google Scholar
- 28.R.F. Davis, M.S. Shur, H.B. Dietrich, GaN-Based Materials and Devices: Growth, Fabrication, Characterization and Performance (World Scientific, Hackensack, 2004)Google Scholar