Smart antennas for space-borne synthetic aperture radars
- 186 Downloads
This paper discusses smart antennas for space-borne synthetic aperture radar (SAR). First, some recent development in smart antennas for space-borne SAR is reviewed. Then, the paper presents a low-cost space-borne SAR system using digital beam forming on receive. The smart antenna system is also discussed, and some results are shown. The antenna system, consisting of a parabolic reflector and multi-feed array, is designed and optimized for dual-band dual-polarized digital beam-forming performance. The operating frequencies are at X and Ka bands with the center frequency of 9.6 and 35.75 GHz, respectively. The stacked dipoles and square patches with parasitic elements are employed as the feed elements at X and Ka bands. Dual-band antenna arrays are combined in the same aperture, which not only reduce the aperture of the feed array, but also coincide the center of dual-band feed arrays.
This work is part of the project ‘DIFFERENT’ funded by EC FP7 (Grant Number: 6069923).
- 2.S. Huber, M. Younis, A. Patyuchenko, G. Krieger, Digital beam forming techniques for spaceborne reflector SAR systems, in Synthetic Aperture Radar (EUSAR), 2010 8th European Conference on, 2010, pp. 1–4Google Scholar
- 3.D. Perkovic-Martin, J.P. Hoffman, L. Veilleux, Instrument concept for the proposed DESDynI SAR instrument, 2012Google Scholar
- 4.M. Younis, S. Huber, A. Patyuchenko, F. Bordoni, G. Krieger, Digital beam-forming for spaceborne reflector-and planar-antenna SAR—a system performance comparison. in Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2009 IEEE International, IGARSS 2009, 2009, pp. III-733–III-736Google Scholar
- 5.M.Y. Anton Patyuchenko, Z. Wang, S. Gao, F. Qin, S. Glisic, W. Debski, L. Boccia, G. Amendola, E. Arnieri, M. Krstic, E. Celton, P. Penkala, Spaceborne X/Ka-Band Digital Beamforming Synthetic Aperture Radar for Earth Observation, Advanced RF Sensors and Remote Sensing Instuments & Ka-band Earth Observation Rada Missions Workshop, Nov.4, 2014Google Scholar
- 10.M. Ludwig, C. Buck, F. Coromina, M. Suess, Status and trends for space-borne phased array radar, in Microwave Symposium Digest, 2005 IEEE MTT-S International, 2005, p. 4 ppGoogle Scholar
- 12.B. Grafmuller, A. Herschlein, C. Fischer, The TerraSAR-X antenna system, in Radar Conference, 2005 IEEE International, 2005, pp. 222–225Google Scholar
- 14.P. Iervolino, R. Guida, P. Whittaker, NovaSAR-S and Maritime Surveillance, in IGARSS Proceedings, 2013Google Scholar
- 15.S. Gao, J.T.S. Sumantyo, SAR Antenna Development in the UKGoogle Scholar
- 17.M. Süß, B. Grafmüller, R. Zahn, A novel high resolution, wide swath SAR system, in Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2001. IGARSS’01. IEEE 2001 International, 2001, pp. 1013–1015Google Scholar
- 19.G. Krieger, I. Hajnsek, K.P. Papathanassiou, M. Younis, A. Moreira, Interferometric synthetic aperture radar (SAR) missions employing formation flying, in Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 98, pp. 816–843, 2010Google Scholar