Precise selective scribing of thin-film solar cells by a picosecond laser
- 529 Downloads
In this paper, precise scribing of thin-film solar cells (CIGS/Mo/Glass) via a picosecond laser is investigated. A parametric study is carried out for P1 and P2 scribing to study the effects of laser fluence and overlap ratio on scribing quality and ablation depth. Three ablation regimes are observed for P1 scribing in different laser fluence ranges, due to the involvement of different ablation mechanisms. The optimum scribing conditions are determined for both P1 and P2 scribing, and the potential processing speed is significantly increased. The heat accumulation effect at different repetition rates is studied to extrapolate the results from low to high repetition rates. A two-temperature model-based model is developed to simulate the scribing process for multiple thin films, providing decent prediction of the slot depth for both P1 and P2 scribing.
KeywordsRepetition Rate Laser Fluence High Repetition Rate Ablation Depth Ablation Mechanism
The authors wish to gratefully acknowledge the financial support provided for this study by the National Science Foundation (Grant Nos.: CMMI-1030786, 0853890-CBET).
- 1.Y. Hamakawa (ed.), Thin-Film Solar Cells: Next Generation Photovoltaics and its Applications (Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, 2004)Google Scholar
- 21.D.R. Lide, Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 74th edn. (CRC Press, FL, 1993)Google Scholar
- 22.E.D. Palik (ed.), Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids (Academic Press, NY, 1998) (now Elsevier)Google Scholar
- 31.F.L. Pedrotti, L.S. Pedrotti, Introduction to Optics (Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1993)Google Scholar
- 32.V.L. Ginzburg, Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasma (Gordon and Breach, New York, 1962)Google Scholar
- 34.D.Y. Lee, M.S. Kim, L. Larina, B.T. Ahn, Effect of Cu content on the photovoltaic properties of Cu(In, Ga)Se2 solar cells prepared by the evaporation of binary selenide sources. Electron. Mater. Lett. 4(1), 13–18 (2008)Google Scholar
- 37.Z. Tóth, B. Hopp, T. Szörényi, Z. Bor, E.A. Shakhno, V.P. Veiko, Pulsed laser ablation mechanisms of thin metal films. Proc. SPIE 3822, 18–26 (1999)Google Scholar