Electrical conductivity of nanostructured and C60-modified aluminum
- 169 Downloads
In this paper, we study the electrical conductivity of nanostructured C60-modified aluminum, and the possibility of optimizing its electrical and mechanical properties. The model proposed allows estimating the electrical conductivity of the material at low surface filling factor. A number of samples with different C60 mass fractions and aluminum crystallites sizes have been obtained and investigated; a mean crystalline size, conductivity, and hardness of these samples have been determined. A theoretical model has been compared to the experimental data. The model is in qualitative agreement with the experiment. The X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and Raman spectroscopy studies of the material structure indicate the presence of covalent bonds between the aluminum in the clusters and the C60 molecules, and they are consistent with the proposed shell model.
KeywordsFullerene Crystalline Size Planetary Mill Fullerene Molecule Small Crystalline Size
The present work was supported through a research grant from Russian Ministry of Education and Science (Contract No. 16.552.11.7014 and Contract No. 02.740.11.0792).
- 1.A.D. Nikulin, A.K. Shikov, V.I. Pantsyrny, I.I. Potapenko, A.G. Silaev, N.A. Beljakov, A.E. Vorob’eva, E.A. Dergunova, N.I. Kozlenkova, M.V. Polikarpova, Patent RU 2074424 C1 (1997) Google Scholar
- 8.R.Z. Valiev, I.V. Aleksandrov, Bulk Nanostructured Metallic Materials: Production, Structure and Properties (Academkniga, Moscow, 2007) (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 9.E.G. Avvakumov, Mechanical Methods of Activation of Chemical Processes (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1986) (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 16.D.R. Lide, CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 88th edn. (CRC Press, Boca Raton 2007) Google Scholar
- 17.M.S. Dresselhaus, G. Dresselhaus, P.C. Eklund, Science of Fullerenes and Carbon Nanotubes (Academic Press, San Diego 1996) Google Scholar
- 18.J.F. Moulder, W.F. Stickle, P.E. Sobol, K.D. Bomben, Handbook of X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (Physical Electronics, Eden Prairie 1992) Google Scholar
- 19.M. Popov, Y. Koga, S. Fujiwara, B. Mavrin, V.D. Blank, New Diam. Front. Carbon Technol. 12, 229 (2002) Google Scholar