Modelling and optimisation of fs laser-produced Kα sources
- First Online:
- 138 Downloads
Recent theoretical and numerical studies of laser-driven femtosecond Kα sources are presented, aimed at understanding a recent experimental campaign to optimize emission from thin coating targets. Particular attention is given to control over the laser–plasma interaction conditions defined by the interplay between a controlled prepulse and the angle of incidence. It is found that the x-ray efficiency for poor-contrast laser systems in which a large preplasma is suspected can be enhanced by using a near-normal incidence geometry even at high laser intensities. With high laser contrast, similar efficiencies can be achieved by going to larger incidence angles, but only at the expense of larger x-ray spot size. New developments in three-dimensional modelling are also reported with the goal of handling interactions with geometrically complex targets and finite resistivity.
PACS52.38.-r 52.38.Ph 52.65.-y
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 21.F. Pisani, A. Bernardinello, D. Batani, A. Antonicci, E. Martinolli, M. Koenig, L. Gremillet, F. Amiranoff, S. Baton, J. Davis, T.A. Hall, D. Scott, P. Norreys, A. Djaoui, C. Rousseaux, P. Fews, H. Bandulet, H. Pepin, Phys. Rev. E 62 (2000) Google Scholar
- 25.W.L. Kruer, The Physics of Laser Plasma Interactions (Addison-Wesley, Reading, 1988) Google Scholar
- 29.ICRU Report 37, Stopping powers for electrons and positrons. Tech. Rep. International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements (1984), http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Star/Text/ESTAR.html
- 34.W. Lu et al., Private communication. W. Lu, M. Nicoul, U. Shymanovich, A. Tarasevitch, P. Zhou, K. Sokolowski-Tinten, D. von der Linde, M. Masek, P. Gibbon, U. Teubner, Phys. Rev. E (submitted for publication) Google Scholar
- 41.C.G. Darwin, Philos. Mag. 39, 537 (1920) Google Scholar
- 42.L.D. Landau, L.O. Lifshitz, L.P. Pitaevskii, Electrodynamics of Continuous Media, 2nd edn. (Pergamon, Elmsford, 1984) Google Scholar
- 44.P. Gibbon, W. Frings, S. Dominiczak, B. Mohr, Performance analysis and visualization of the n-body tree code pepc on massively parallel computers, in Proc. Parallel Computing 2005, Malaga, ed. by G. Joubert NIC Series, vol. 35 (Forschungszentrum Jülich, Jülich, 2006) Google Scholar