Materials processing by use of a Ti:Sapphire laser with automatically-adjustable pulse duration
- 73 Downloads
We have developed an automatic pulsewidth-adjustable femtosecond Ti:Sapphire laser system that can generate an output of 50 fs-1 ps in duration, and sub-mJ/pulse at a repetition rate of 1 kpps. The automatic pulse compressor enables one to control the pulsewidth in the range of 50 fs-1 ps by use of a personal computer (PC). The compressor can change the distance in-between and the tilt angle of the grating pairs by use of two stepping motors and two piezo-electric transducer(PZT) driven actuators, respectively. Both are controlled by a PC. Therefore, not only control of the pulsewidth, but also of the optical chirp becomes easy. By use of this femtosecond laser system, we fabricated a waveguide in fused quartz. The numerical aperture is chosen to 0.007 to loosely focus the femtosecond laser. The fabricated waveguides are well controllable by the incident laser pulsewidth. We also demonstrated the ablation processing of hydroxyapatite (Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2), which is a key component of human tooth and human bone for orthopedics and dentistry. With pulsewidth tunable output from 50 fs through 2 ps at 1 kpps, the chemical content of calcium and phosphorus is kept unchanged before and after 50-fs-2-ps laser ablation. We also demonstrated the precise ablation processing of human tooth enamel with 2 ps Ti:Sapphire laser.
KeywordsHydroxyapatite Laser System Femtosecond Laser Ablation Processing Sapphire Laser
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.V. Bagnoud, F. Salin: CLEO, CtuD3, 71 (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.F. Dousing: Machining of metals with ultrashort laser pulses: fundamental aspect and their consequence (CLEO-Europe 2003, 22–17 June, 2003 Munich Germany)Google Scholar
- 20.A. Offner: U.S. patent 3, 748015 (1971)Google Scholar
- 21.K. M. Davis, K. Miura, N. Sugimoto, K. Hirao: Opt. Lett. 21, 1829 (1996)Google Scholar
- 25.G.P. Agrawal: Nonlinear Fiber Optics (Academic Press, San Diego, 1995)Google Scholar