The role of the temperature and laser fluence on the properties of PLD bioactive glass films
The effect of the deposition temperature and laser fluence on the bonding configuration, morphology and mechanical properties of the PLD bioactive glass thin films in the system SiO2P2O5CaONa2OK2OMgO is presented.
Information on the IR active Si-O groups was obtained by Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy. Surface morphology changes were followed by Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and the film thickness was measured by profilometry. Hardness and elastic modulus were determined by nano-indentation.
The frequency shifting and intensity variations of the IR absorption bands indicate that the substrate temperature plays an important role on the bonding configuration of the films. This effect is associated with a network rearrangement and the surface chemistry that occurs during the film growth.
The main effects of the laser fluence on the film properties are the linear dependence on it of the growth rate and the changes induced on the surface morphology. Both results are discussed in terms of beam–matter interaction and plume–substrate interaction in the PLD process. Finally, the hardness and the elastic modulus of the films are in agreement with the values reported in the literature for the bulk material.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L.L. Hench, J. Wilson (Eds.): An Introduction to Bioceramics (World Scientific, Singapore 1993)Google Scholar
- 2.T. Kokubo, M. Tanahashi, T. Yao, M. Minoda, T. Miyamoto, T. Nakamura, T. Yamamuro: Bioceramics 6, 327 (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.T. Yamamuro, L.L. Hench, J. Wilson (Eds.): Handbook of Bioactive Ceramics (CRC Press, Boca Raton 1990)Google Scholar
- 4.H. Scholze: Glass: Nature, Structure and Properties (Springer-Verlag, New York 1990)Google Scholar
- 5.S. Liste, P. González, J. Serra, J.P. Borrajo, S. Chiussi, B. León, M. Pérez-Amor, J. García López, F.J. Ferrer, Y. Morilla, M.A. Respaldiza: Thin Solid Films (2003, in press)Google Scholar
- 6.L. D’Alessio, R. Teghil, M. Zaccagnino, I. Zaccardo, D. Ferro, V. Marotta: Appl. Surf. Sci. 138–139, 527 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.J. Serra, P. González, S. Chiussi, B. León, M. Pérez-Amor: Key Eng. Mater. 192–195, 635 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.J.C. Miller, R.F. Haglund (Eds.): Laser ablation; Mechanisms and Applications (Springer-Verlag, Germany 1991)Google Scholar
- 15.J.C. Miller, R.F. Haglund (Eds.): Laser ablation and desorption (Academic Press, San Diego 1990)Google Scholar
- 16.S. Liste, P. González, J. Serra, J.P. Borrajo, S. Chiussi, B. León, M. Pérez-Amor, J. García López, F.J. Ferrer, Y. Morilla, M.A. Respaldiza: Thin Solid Films (in press)Google Scholar