Scattering of image-potential-state electrons by steps on Cu(001)
- 65 Downloads
Scanning tunneling spectroscopy (STS) reveals a distinct asymmetry in the scattering properties of an isolated step for the n=1 image-potential state on Cu(001). The elastic scattering probability for an electron traveling downstairs is determined from the strength of density oscillations in front of a step edge and is found to be approximately two times higher than for the opposite upstairs direction. A one-dimensional scattering model is extended to the case of asymmetric transmission and reflection coefficients. The calculations using the asymmetry measured by STS explain the dispersion and the decay rate of the n=1 band on Cu(119) measured by two-photon photoemission. In particular, the asymmetry of the decay rate can be described quantitatively with a minimum of adjustable parameters. While the results can also be transferred successfully to the Cu(1115) surface, the limit of applicability is reached for Cu(117) with a step separation of 3.5 nearest-neighbor distances.
KeywordsSpectroscopy Reflection Decay Rate Reflection Coefficient Adjustable Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.T. Fauster, W. Steinmann: In Photonic Probes of Surfaces, Vol. 2 of Electromagnetic Waves: Recent Developments in Research, ed. by P. Halevi (North-Holland, Amsterdam 1995) Chapt. 8, p. 347 Google Scholar
- 3.R.M. Osgood, X.Y. Wang: In Solid State Physics, Vol. 51, ed. by H. Ehrenreich, F. Spaepen (Academic, San Diego 1997)p. 1 Google Scholar
- 6.K. Boger, M. Weinelt, T. Fauster: Appl. Phys. A, DOI: 10.1007/s00339-003-2312-4 Google Scholar
- 7.M. Roth, M. Pickel, J. Wang, M. Weinelt, T. Fauster: Appl. Phys. B 74, 661 (2002) Google Scholar
- 9.M. Weinelt: J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 14, R1099 (2002) Google Scholar
- 10.M.F. Crommie, C.P. Lutz, D.M. Eigler: Science 262, 218 (1993) Google Scholar
- 15.L. Vitali, P. Wahl, M.A. Schneider, K. Kern, V.M. Silkin, E.V. Chulkov, P.M. Echenique: Surf. Sci. 523, L47 (2003) Google Scholar
- 21.M. Roth, M. Pickel, M. Weinelt, T. Fauster: Appl. Phys. A, DOI: 10.1007/s00339-003-2311-5 Google Scholar
- 22.N.W. Ashcroft, N.D. Mermin: Solid State Physics (Saunders College, Philadelphia 1976) Chapt. 8, Problem 1 Google Scholar
- 23.J.B. Pendry: Low Energy Electron Diffraction (Academic, London 1974) Chapt. IIIB Google Scholar
- 24.T. Fauster: Appl. Phys. A 59, 639 (1994) Google Scholar