Fluorescence studies of polycrystalline Al2O3 composite constituents: piezo-spectroscopic calibration and applications
- First Online:
- 125 Downloads
Optical fluorescence microscopy (OFM) was used to quantify the effect of applied stress or strain upon the position of the R fluorescence line of αAl2O3 composite constituents (fibers and matrices) prior to composite processing. Polycrystalline NextelTM Nextel 720 fibers were tested under tension and compression by means of a cantilever beam technique, whereas the polycrystalline matrix was tested in compression. The position of the R fluorescence line was correlated to applied strain and stress in order to provide the piezo-spectroscopic calibration curve and the corresponding coefficients for both sensors, which form the basis for interpretation of frequency shifts from full, all-alumina, composites. The piezo-spectroscopic coefficients of the polycrystalline matrix were found to be 2.57 cm-1 GPa-1 and 2.52 cm-1 GPa-1 for the R1 and R2 lines respectively, whereas the coefficients for the polycrystalline αAl2O3 Nextel 720 fibers were found to be 3.07 cm-1 GPa-1 and 2.91 cm-1 GPa-1 for the R1 and R2 lines, respectively. The effects of collection probe size, as well as penetration depth, are discussed. The established piezo-spectroscopic behavior is used inversely to quantify the residual stresses in the as-received fibers due to the presence of sizing, as well as in the thermally grown alumina layer of an industrial thermal barrier coating.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CRC Materials Science and Engineering Handbook, 3rd edn. (CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, Florida 2001) Google Scholar
- 4.D. McClure: J. Chem. Phys. 36, 3118 (1962) Google Scholar
- 24.C. Galiotis: Micromechanics of Reinforcement using Laser Raman Spectroscopy, Microstructural Characterisation of Fiber-Reinforced Composites (Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, England 1998) pp. 224–253 Google Scholar
- 25.N. Melanitis: Ph.D. Thesis (Queen Mary and Westfield College, Department of Materials, University of London 1991) Google Scholar
- 26.3M Corporation: 3M Nextel Ceramic Fiber Technical Notebook (http://www.3m.com/ceramics, 1999) Google Scholar
- 27.K.G. Dassios, M. Steen, C. Filiou: Mater. Sci. Eng. A (2003), in press Google Scholar