Temperature effects on optical properties of InN thin films
- 172 Downloads
Transmission measurements have been carried out on InN thin films grown by radio frequency magnetron sputtering on a sapphire (0001) substrate at 10–300 K. With the aid of a novel procedure developed for analyzing the transmission spectra, the effect of temperature on optical properties, such as the absorption coefficient, band-gap, Urbach bandtail characteristics, refractive index and extinction coefficient, of InN thin films has been determined. The wavelength and temperature dependence of the absorption coefficient in both the Urbach and intrinsic absorption regions has been described by a series of empirical formulae. The temperature dependence of the refractive index dispersion below the band-gap is also found to follow a Sellmeier equation. These formulae are very useful for the characterization and device design of InN films. The free-electron concentration in the InN thin film determined here is also found to be in good agreement with that obtained from infrared reflection measurements.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. Nakamura, M. Senoh, S. Nagahama, N. Iwasa, T. Yamada, T. Matsushita, H. Kiyoku, Y. Sugimoto: Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. Part 2 35, L74 (1996) Google Scholar
- 5.T. Inushima, V.V. Mamutin, V.A. Vekshin, S.V. Ivanov, T. Sakon, M. Motokawa, S. Ohoya: J. Crystal Growth 227–228, 481 (2001) Google Scholar
- 7.F. Li, D. Mo, C.B. Cao, Y.L. Zhang, H.L. Chan, C.L. Choy: J. Mater. Sci. 12, 725 (2001) Google Scholar
- 10.V.Y. Davydov, A.A. Klochikhin, R.P. Seisyan, V.V. Emtsev, S.V. Ivanov, F. Bechstedt, J. Furthmuller, H. Harima, A.V. Mudryi, J. Aderhold, O. Semchinova, J. Graul: Phys. Status Solidi B 229, R1 (2002); V.Y. Davydov, A.A. Klochikhin, V.V. Emtsev, S.V. Ivanov, V.V. Vekshin, F. Bechstedt, J. Furthmüller, H. Harima, A.V. Mudryi, A. Hashimoto, A. Yamamoto, J. Aderhold, J. Graul, E.E. Haller: Phys. Status Solidi B 230, R4 (2002); J. Wu, W. Walukiewicz, K.M. Yu, J.W. Ager III, E.E. Haller, H. Lu, W.J. Schaff, Y. Saito, Y. Nanishi: Appl. Phys. Lett. 80, 3967 (2002) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Q.X. Guo, M. Nishio, H. Ogawa, A. Yoshida: Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38, L490 (1999) Google Scholar
- 19.F. Wooton: Optical Properties of Solids (Academic, New York 1972) Google Scholar
- 21.S.C. Shen: Optical Properties of Semiconductors (Academic Press, Beijing 1992) Google Scholar
- 24.C.F. Klingshirn: Semiconductor Optics (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg 1997) Google Scholar